[PHASER][WIP/DEMO] Jethro's Puppy Adventure

SignalSin

I've been spending my spare time working on a platformer game, starring my very own dog, Jethro. This is a demo, showcasing 3 levels from what will eventually be a total of 16.

Run, jump and dig your way through the levels in an effort to get as many biscuits as possible before heading to your kennel.

I haven’t been able to test the mobile version on anything other than my dodgy, old phone which couldn’t handle it well, so mobile support is ‘unofficial’ for now

Play the game here. And please let me know what you think :). Thanks for your time, folks!

new world.gif

screenie_small.png

I love it. The backgrounds give it that 80's arcade look. The gameplay is nice. I couldn't find any problems worth mentioning. I didn't like the country-like music too much, but that's entirely subjective. I expected the third level to be plagued with monsters and I gladly discovered that the increase in difficulty is due to a greater demand of ability skills, which I liked, because I think this kind of difficulty is a lot less stressful than random monsters coming against the character, and I think the former allows the player to feel more in control and relaxed and keep the interest in the game because even if it's less stressful an experience, it's still harder and interesting.

If ever get to make something close to this, I'd feel very proud myself. Congratulations and keep up the good work.

Cheers

It's a pretty good game, and I like the snes/genesis style, did create the graphics yourself?

I would make the check point an other than red, and maybe also change the sound effect, because at first I though that circle was an enemy or something. And it could also use a little in-game tutorial or hints, for example in the very first level a sign that says "hold space to dig here" would be enough.

22 hours ago, BdR said:

It's a pretty good game, and I like the snes/genesis style, did create the graphics yourself?

I would make the check point an other than red, and maybe also change the sound effect, because at first I though that circle was an enemy or something. And it could also use a little in-game tutorial or hints, for example in the very first level a sign that says "hold space to dig here" would be enough.

Unfortunately I have very little skill as an artist! I've had to rely on people kind enough to give their art away. You can find the backgrounds by asimuz here, the platform tiles are here and here are the GUI assets. I did have someone specially make the art for Jethro however. Good suggestion about the checkpoint, I think something like green would probably be much more appropriate! And yeah, there should probably be more of a tutorial too.

On 5/27/2016 at 9:42 AM, ecv said:

I love it. The backgrounds give it that 80's arcade look. The gameplay is nice. I couldn't find any problems worth mentioning. I didn't like the country-like music too much, but that's entirely subjective. I expected the third level to be plagued with monsters and I gladly discovered that the increase in difficulty is due to a greater demand of ability skills, which I liked, because I think this kind of difficulty is a lot less stressful than random monsters coming against the character, and I think the former allows the player to feel more in control and relaxed and keep the interest in the game because even if it's less stressful an experience, it's still harder and interesting.

If ever get to make something close to this, I'd feel very proud myself. Congratulations and keep up the good work.

Cheers

Glad you enjoyed how the final level worked. I hadn't planned it like that, but was happy with how it turned out.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!