Sign in to follow this  
LatteDrift

Features a game framework would need?

I'm getting ready for the js13k competition by refining and expanding my TypeScript Game Framework MINI.ts https://github.com/LatteDrift/MINI.ts with the goal to let me make 2D games as fast as possible. 

My current plans are to work on

• Clean up Canvas Renderer
  • Implement 2D WebGL renderer
  • Implement Steering Behavior
  • Refine basic physics
  • Implement QuadTrees and Chunking
  • Implement Terrain generation
  • Implement some standard UI elements
  • Improve the build process and get the TS code to generate JSDocs so that I can use Google's Closure compiler to get a smaller file size

I'm looking for other ideas of features I might need later on or that make help speed up developer later on. 

i see you have terrain generation listed there I assume that will include some sort of noise generator which would be one of the first things i would recommend. also i'd say a simple animation class and a whole bunch of debug options such as rendering collision geometry and coordinates and such. i only had a quick look at the git so maybe you have some of this already but that's my 2 cents. anyways looking good so far.

One thing that I does strike is that most of those modules can be stand-alone, possibly when you include them into your framework you add some glue, but it would be a good thing to be able to install only parts of a larger framework. Things such as noise generators, terrain generators, UI components etc etc all have value standalone, even if their primary use-case is as part of a larger framework. Given that multiple instances of these types of modules already exist I've no idea why people (outside of a learning endeavour) code these things themselves but if you're going to, I'd look in to making them standalone and then work on including them in your framework project. So many benefits for both you as developer and for your users.

3 hours ago, hotfeet said:

i see you have terrain generation listed there I assume that will include some sort of noise generator which would be one of the first things i would recommend. also i'd say a simple animation class and a whole bunch of debug options such as rendering collision geometry and coordinates and such. i only had a quick look at the git so maybe you have some of this already but that's my 2 cents. anyways looking good so far.

Animation class, perfect! I completely forgot about those. Also, I'll add debug rendering, thanks hotfeet for the ideas.

1 hour ago, mattstyles said:

One thing that I does strike is that most of those modules can be stand-alone, possibly when you include them into your framework you add some glue, but it would be a good thing to be able to install only parts of a larger framework. Things such as noise generators, terrain generators, UI components etc etc all have value standalone, even if their primary use-case is as part of a larger framework. Given that multiple instances of these types of modules already exist I've no idea why people (outside of a learning endeavour) code these things themselves but if you're going to, I'd look in to making them standalone and then work on including them in your framework project. So many benefits for both you as developer and for your users.

Thanks mattstyles for the idea! I been trying to keep everything separate with minimal imports from each other, but I'll try to improve the code to make them as standalone as possible