Noel

Discoverability & Monetization

We were awarded with the grant from the Grant for the Web program to explore Web Monetization in games. As part of that we will be building Web Monetized games, writing documentation on the process, hosting Web Monetization category in js13kGames 2020 competition, conducting Gamedev.js Survey, and writing Phaser ebook.

Happy to discuss ideas and share experiences with anyone's interested!

Like @end3r we (the Defold Foundation) were also awarded a grant from Grant for the Web to explore the use of Web Monetization in games. The Defold Foundation will use the grant to integrate, promote and support the use of Web Monetization in web games created using Defold. The Defold Foundation will integrate Web Monetization through its plugin system, promote it through examples and tutorials and host a game jam focused on Web Monetization.

We have a first version the engine and editor integration ready for testing (more info). Next up is to create the sample game and start planning for the game jam.

Related to discoverability, I note a recent proposal for a Web Install API that would allow a website to request the installation of another website, enabling the creation of web application stores with "Install" buttons. The proposal was the topic of a breakout session during W3C TPAC end of October. The video of the presentation is available.

That proposal is not targeted at games per se, but it may be worth reviewing the proposal in the context of games.

On 11/10/2020 at 7:26 PM, tidoust said:

Related to discoverability, I note a recent proposal for a Web Install API that would allow a website to request the installation of another website, enabling the creation of web application stores with "Install" buttons. The proposal was the topic of a breakout session during W3C TPAC end of October. The video of the presentation is available.

That proposal is not targeted at games per se, but it may be worth reviewing the proposal in the context of games.

I am wondering what other members are thinking about that. @end3r, @britzl?

I for one think this is highly relevant for games and web game portals. From a games perspective they are given a way to store/install games and have immediate access to them. From a web game portal's perspective I'm thinking there might be concern that they lose players if allowing players to install a game and launch it outside of the portal.

20 hours ago, britzl said:

I for one think this is highly relevant for games and web game portals. From a games perspective they are given a way to store/install games and have immediate access to them. From a web game portal's perspective I'm thinking there might be concern that they lose players if allowing players to install a game and launch it outside of the portal.

Then maybe we could suggest a solution for that issue. What if the installation was somehow conditioned by the presence of the SDK of that particular portal?