ChubbRck

How to safely destroy() a sprite with a physics body?

Hi all,

I know this has been asked before, but I still couldn't get any clarity after reading those other posts.

Every time I try to destroy an object when it passes out of bounds I get an error, usually:

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'camera' of null

I understand that I'm probably trying to do something with that object when it is already destroyed... the problem is I don't know what. The object is in a group which is being checked for collisions against another group. It also has a physics body. I've tried removing the object from its group before destroying it, but still no dice.

Any guidance is appreciated -

Nick

Adam's correct with one exception:

For a sprite to kill itself when it goes out of bounds:

var sprite = game.add.sprite(100,100,'sprite');sprite.checkWorldBounds = true;// checkWorldBounds must be enabled for a sprite to kill itself// when it goes out of bounds.// This causes the sprite to check it's position every frame.// It can be expensive, especially if you have a metric buttload of// sprites doing this.sprite.outOfBoundsKill = true;// this will automatically have the sprite call it's own "kill()" method // if it leaves the world bounds.

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies - I have this working but I was concerned with 'killing' the sprites as opposed to destroying them. Since I'm not reusing sprites (I'm creating new ones at set intervals) I was hoping to avoid a memory buildup of undrawn, "killed" sprites. Does anyone know if this is a valid concern or not?

Thanks again  -