Sign in to follow this  
BdR

[CocoonJS] Launcher, question about frames per second performance

Hi all,

in the CocoonJS launcher I get 30 frames per second, but I read on the forum here that CocoonJS should give 60fps (see here or here). I launch my test app in the CocoonJS launcher with a URL and Canvas+. Am I doing something wrong here or is a difference between the launcher and the cloud compiler? I've been looking at CocoonJS lately and I made a test app. It's a bare minimum test just to check out how the CocoonJS launcher works and what the performance is.

See my test script here, you can tap the bottom bar to add/remove sprites:

3450djq.png

My frames per second testing, for 1-200-500 balls (mobile device is HTC Desire X, Android 4.1.1)

• desktop chrome: (1)60fps - (200)60fps - (500)60fps
  • mobile chrome: (1)39fps - (200)31fps - (500)19fps
  • mobile default browser: (1)40fps - (200)19fps - (500)11fps
  • Cocoonjs launcher: (1)30fps - (200)28fps - (500)25fps

I tried compiling my test app in the CocoonJS cloud service and then it runs slightly better than from the launcher app.

CocoonJS cloud compiler: 1ball=39fps - 200balls=35fps - 500balls=30fps

If you want to test this more, have you tired not using textures on your balls? in this issue i posted here http://www.html5gamedevs.com/topic/7123-cocoonjs-images-and-screen-resolution/

I lost almost 25 FPS due to a single static image. I fixed the issue by lowering the game res but still this is very strange. 

Thanks all for testing :) Confirms what I suspected, like korgoth said; CocoonJS needs a relatively new Android phone to run at 60fps, so phones manufactured in about last 1-2 years.

If you want to test this more, have you tired not using textures on your balls? in this issue i posted here http://www.html5gamedevs.com/topic/7123-cocoonjs-images-and-screen-resolution/

I lost almost 25 FPS due to a single static image. I fixed the issue by lowering the game res but still this is very strange. 

Actually the balls are not 3D models with textures, it's just 64x64 pixel sprites taken from a 64x512 spritesheet, see spritesheet below.

spritesheet.png

Actually the balls are not 3D models with textures, it's just 64x64 pixel sprites taken from a 64x512 spritesheet, see spritesheet below.

spritesheet.png

What I ment was, if you make the balls with javascript and color them in instead of using sprites it may give you better performance.