Bounding box center coordinates

reddozen

Is there a good way to find the center point for a models bounding box?

My problem is that we're currently loading in models that have been translated before being exported, and their world coordnates are based on this pre translation. This will wreak havok on things like level of detail. So I figure the best way to remove the translations is to use the bounding box center as the actual model coordinates. I'll loop through all the models in the scene and then generate a list of corrected coordinates. then I can just reset them all to 0,0,0.

Hi,

If you use Blender: mesh vertices have coordinates relative to the object origin, so setting that origin thoughtfully may allow you to solve your issue. Probably applies to other modeling software, although I can't say for sure.

Apart from that, using

refreshBoundingInfo()

and then

<static>Center()

on a BABYLON.Mesh object should do precisely what you want :)

I'll try that, but wouldnt that mean that babylon is ignoring the translation? What I mean is that the translation is saved in 3DS Max, so when it's loaded in Babylon, I would assume that the center of mesh woul include the translation difference, and it would tell me that the center is the center of the translation bounds. That's why I was referring to the bounding boxes. they are kind of absolute,

Well, I'm not sure about the 3DSMax exporter behaviour, and I don't have this software at my disposal so I can't try it myself.

What you can do is try the debug layer feature in BJS 2.0 alpha available on github. This will allow you to display bounding boxes and mesh origins on screen, which may help you check if everything is as you intend it to be.

Using this feature is ultra simple, just add

scene.debugLayer.show();

in your code.

Hope this helps!