SPACE GAME! Client and Server, super alpha

b0xincognito

It just so happened that today these forums were opened and I decided to open source my Babylon.JS game that I'm working on as a side project. It's simply called "SPACE GAME!" for now, and it's exactly what it sounds like... a space sim, akin to Cosmic Rift and Freelancer. It has no actual models or textures yet (because I still haven't gotten around to figuring out how to properly import them) but the game logic is coming along well. I'm trying to go along the Minecraft model and have every world be seamlessly single player and multiplayer, so even playing alone requires a server right now. This makes it awfully complicated, but down the line it'll be easier and make sense.

The server is here and the client is here. I've written instructions on how to get it running locally (found here) since I do not yet have a server running anywhere for this, just a local virtual machine. Getting it up and running is a bit tough at the moment, and there's not much to do once it's going, but it's a work in progress. I wanted to open source it from the get-go just in case I don't finish it. Maybe someone else down the line can take it further or learn something from it.

As for Babylon.JS -- it's been by far the easiest engine to use. I originally tried writing this game in Processing, then Processing.js, then in C++ using the Cinder library, and then using a few HTML5 2D engines. For some reason Babylon has been the easiest for me to understand and utilize, despite the lack of API documentation. My profession is systems architecture and programming with stuff like PHP, Bash, Node.js, Ruby, Python, and Go, and I've never fully gotten into C/C++ so I haven't found them as useful and robust as plain old javascript.

Anyway, I'll post in here any substantial updates that come along. And I'm happy to use the forum to help out other people who are trying to do things with Babylon.