Hello! Top Down Game?

megmut

Hey everyone! Just a quick introduction, and a question!

I've been coding JS for about 3 years, PHP 4 and C# / VB longer than that! Been using phaser as my game engine for just over 7 months now, made 3 pretty decent games with it. Hopefully I will be in a position to start giving any code snippets for useful stuff I've written soon!

Just a quick question. I'm about to start my 4th game, and thinking of doing a Farmville / clash of clans / boom beach type game. I've got some conceptual ideas in my head about how to go around it, but just curious to see if anybody here has attempted it or have any input?!

Also, I haven't seen a great deal on phaser with Facebook API integration and I've got a fair bit of experience on that, so please expect a tutorial post to come at some point should people find it useful / request for it!

Thanks!

Is there anything specifically you are having trouble figuring out? Because in many ways, a top-down game can be more simple than a side-scroller or some other perspectives since you don't typically have any physics, just collisions. 

The one thing you do have to come to grips with for a top-down game is tilemaps. You are going to depend on them more heavily in a top-down game because now your entire play world is a tile and you will probable be interacting with them more. In side-scrollers, you will typically have empty space or background images for the background seen through your platforms, and you interact with sprites. You will still interact with sprites in a top-down game, but now the entire playfield will be tiles, so you may want to blow them up, change tiles, animate them, etc. So I would do a crash-course on tilemapping in Phaser if you aren't very familiar with it, and then you should be good to go. 

I wasn't thinking a tilemap, more layered sprites. But not too sure, hence why I was wondering on an opinion from you guys on where to start :)

Here's an example of the kind of think I am thinking of:

2_moy_city_builder.jpg

Seen as the character isn't going to be running around the screen, I'm un-sure if it's easier to just build an object array of co-ordinates and use those for object placement (tree, house) or.. to go down the while tiled map route?

Thanks

Nick

Ohh, you meant an isometric game? Quite different from a typical top-down game. Well, I don't have much experience with that type of game. I find asset production a pain, but I am not an artist, so take that with a grain of salt. Phaser does have a dedicated isometric plugin that looks pretty slick, so maybe start out by looking into that! http://rotates.org/phaser/iso/