How to update bounds for nested sprites

andrii.barvynko

Hi there. I have a noob question... How I can update bounds of nested sprites?

For example:

I have a sprite

levelSprite = this.game.add.sprite(0, 0); //now width and height - 32x32

This sprite has two childs

levelNum1 = this.game.add.sprite(0, 0, 'game_assets_4');levelNum1.frameName = "gm_level_number_0001.png";levelNum2 = this.game.add.sprite(100, 100, 'game_assets_4');levelNum2.frameName = "gm_level_number_0002.png";levelSprite.addChild(levelNum1);levelSprite.addChild(levelNum2); // now width and height still 32x32... why?

I use phaser v. 2.4.3

Would you be so kind to help me please...

unfortunately it doesn't work like that...

here's an example that will calculate what you need

http://phaser.io/sandbox/QULRhkjt/play

this is what @rich said.

bounds is, width/height are effectively the scale of the object, the texture size if you will
even a sprite with no assigned texture (like the forum post) still has a texture ... hence, it has dimensions

it’s more how it’s called.. a PIXI Sprite getBounds doesn’t iterate children, it’s just the display bounds of the Sprite itself - whereas a DisplayObjectContainer (like a Group) iterates just children
Pixi overrides the DoC getBounds with the Sprite one, because the result is used for the uv verts

to get a complete bounds of a Sprite with children you’d need to do a getBounds on the Sprite and sum that rect with a getBounds on its children

also remember if you’re doing bounds calls within a create function it hasn’t had a chance for the render pass yet, so you’d need to call updateTransform on it first