problem with BABYLON.SceneLoader.ImportMesh

dav74

Hello (again ;-)),

I've a problem with the code (see the bottom of this post)

if i "comment" the line : "singe.position.x=3", all is ok (i've Suzanne from blender on screen)

if i "uncomment" this line, i've an error "singe is undefined", why "singe=newMeshes[0];" doesn't work ? i don't understand !!

Thank for your help

var canvas = document.getElementById("renderCanvas");var engine = new BABYLON.Engine(canvas, true);var scene = new BABYLON.Scene(engine); var singe;var camera = new BABYLON.ArcRotateCamera("Camera",0,0, 10, new BABYLON.Vector3(0, 0, 0), scene);var light0 = new BABYLON.PointLight("Omnidir", new BABYLON.Vector3(0, 0,60), scene);BABYLON.SceneLoader.ImportMesh("Suzanne", "asset/", "head1.babylon", scene, function (newMeshes, particleSystems) {	singe=newMeshes[0];});//singe.position.x=3;camera.attachControl(canvas);engine.runRenderLoop(function () {    scene.render();});

Hi Dav74 !

I don't think there is a way to make otherwise. The model import is asynchronous, and thus will be executed in a new thread. There's no way to execute actions after the import other than a callback function.

A proper way to initialize your model position (among many other thing I guess) would be to do it like this: 

BABYLON.SceneLoader.ImportMesh("Suzanne", "asset/", "head1.babylon", scene, function (newMeshes, particleSystems) {    setup(newMeshes[0]);});

where the setup(mesh) function would be all actions related to your imported model, for example : 

function setup(mesh) {    mesh.position.x = 3    //...}

Hi,

@ melaugui thank you for your answer, 1 question again : do you think that i can put the render loop in the callback function ? do you think that is the good solution ?

• 8 months later...

Hi Dav74 !

I don't think there is a way to make otherwise. The model import is asynchronous, and thus will be executed in a new thread. There's no way to execute actions after the import other than a callback function.

A proper way to initialize your model position (among many other thing I guess) would be to do it like this: 

BABYLON.SceneLoader.ImportMesh("Suzanne", "asset/", "head1.babylon", scene, function (newMeshes, particleSystems) {    setup(newMeshes[0]);});

where the setup(mesh) function would be all actions related to your imported model, for example : 

function setup(mesh) {    mesh.position.x = 3    //...}

Hi Guy's - when I try this i get error - cannot set property 'position' of undefined'   in console

BABYLON.SceneLoader.ImportMesh("bench", "GalleryAssets/room/", "office_chair.babylon", scene, function (newMeshes, particleSystems) {
            setup(newMeshes[0]);
        });

function setup(mesh) {
            function setup(mesh) {
            mesh.position.x = 10;
            mesh.position.y = 1;
            mesh.position.z = -10;

mesh.scaling.x = 5;
            mesh.scaling.y = 5;
            mesh.scaling.z = 5;
        }

any ideas to help?

thanks

Also i'm not sure why you need the setup file. Assigning new variables etc just uses more memory.

BABYLON.SceneLoader.ImportMesh("bench", "GalleryAssets/room/", "office_chair.babylon", scene, function (newMeshes, particleSystems) {            newMeshes[0].position = new Babylon.vector3(10,1,-10);            newMeshes[0].scaling = new Babylon.vector3(5,5,5);});

Hi guys' thanks for responses...

I've removed "bench" and tried the code above from reddozen...

var LoadChairs = function () {

BABYLON.SceneLoader.ImportMesh("", "GalleryAssets/room/", "office_chair.babylon", scene, function (newMeshes, particleSystems) {
            newMeshes[0].position = new Babylon.vector3(10, 1, -10);
            newMeshes[0].scaling = new Babylon.vector3(5, 5, 5);
        });
}

BUT - I still get this i get error - cannot set property 'position' of undefined'   in console  

I've even tried to resize and position in the office_chair.babylon file with no results....

is there something i should do with my blender file before exporting?

Hi guys' thanks for responses...

I've removed "bench" and tried the code above from reddozen...

var LoadChairs = function () {

BABYLON.SceneLoader.ImportMesh("", "GalleryAssets/room/", "office_chair.babylon", scene, function (newMeshes, particleSystems) {
            newMeshes[0].position = new Babylon.vector3(10, 1, -10);
            newMeshes[0].scaling = new Babylon.vector3(5, 5, 5);
        });
}

BUT - I still get this i get error - cannot set property 'position' of undefined'   in console  

thanks for looking!  -  I had already removed 'bench' from the sceneloader - so thats not the issue....

ok found the answer to my issue - I needed to parent all the meshes to one parent in blender before exporting to Babylon.... then above codes are working!!!

http://www.html5gamedevs.com/topic/8146-babylonsceneloader-positioning-and-scaling-issues-the-saga-continues/

then scaling and positioning is working with Temechons code above...

thank you!