how to update text with a condition

Shadow20

Hello, I am trying out phaser and tried to make a game of pong and i want to display the score so i used the update text example to guide me but i got the error that text.setText is not a valid function by firebug and i could not find it in the documentation either. therefore i tried this instead:

text = "Score: " + playerScore.toString();

but the game freezes when it hits this line. any help with this issue?

here is my code so far:

var game = new Phaser.Game(480,320,Phaser.AUTO, '', {preload:preload, create:create , update:update})var paddles;var paddle;var ball;var cursors;var enemyScore = 0;var playerScore = 0;var text = "Score: " + playerScore.toString();var style = { font: "65px Arial", fill: "#ff0044", align: "center" };function preload(){    game.load.image('paddle', 'assets/paddle.png');    game.load.image('ball', 'asssets/ball.png');}function create(){    paddles = game.add.group();    paddle = game.add.sprite(10, 190, 'paddle');    paddle.body.immovable = true;    paddle.body.collideWorldBounds = true;    paddles.add(paddle);    paddle = game.add.sprite(450, 90, 'paddle');    paddle.body.immovable = true;    paddle.body.collideWorldBounds = true;    paddles.add(paddle);    ball = game.add.sprite(240, 160, 'ball');    ball.body.velocity.x = -150;    ball.body.velocity.y = 800;    ball.body.collideWorldBounds = true;    ball.body.bounce.setTo(1, 1);    cursors = game.input.keyboard.createCursorKeys();    var renderText = game.add.text(game.world.centerX, game.world.centerY, text, style);}function update(){    game.physics.collide(ball, paddles, null, null, this);    paddle.body.velocity.setTo(0, 0);        if(cursors.up.isDown){        paddle.body.velocity.y = -100;    }    if(cursors.down.isDown){        paddle.body.velocity.y = 100;    }        if(ball.x < 10 || ball.x > game.width - 50){        ballReset(ball.x);    }}function ballReset(x){    if(x < 10){        enemyScore++;    }    else if(x > game.width-50){        playerScore++;         text = "Score: " + playerScore.toString();    }    ball.x = 240;    ball.y = 160;}

You should use setText on your 'renderText' variable, your  'text' variable isn't a Phaser text object, it is only a string, on JavaScript you don't need to use .toString() to concatenate strings and variables with  the plus sign should be enough, also I recommend you to put your 'renderText' variable outside of your functions so you can use it on the update or in the ball reset function.

@Arlefreak: thanks, i figured it out after looking at the example again yesterday but due to the post approval i couldnt remove it or change it. thats interesting that you dont need to .toString() to concatanate the values though. Thanks for the help!

I saw .content in the docs although i got it working per what Arlefreak suggested so i dont know if it is worth looking into?