Tiled splatmap seams

feds.nz

Hey all,

I've been toying with creating a large open world, I planned to tile this using a smaller grid of tiles around the players local grid. A sample of what I am trying to achieve is at http://community.troy.nz/hm/index.html

What I have so far is a 7x7 grid of seperate tiles that use individual 513x513 32-bit heightmaps and 64x64 24bit splatmaps (i've tried various other sizes also) and three textures. I've noticed when using the splatmapping there is a seam at the edge of each tile as depicted below.

problem1.thumb.png.ce7084d6c7a32faa8703ab03b7a46dcd.png

Zooming in closer you can see the issue

problem2.thumb.png.b9e7a3d6b690c0db37d71c42f9ea0a91.png

When Zoomed right in you can see that one of the other textures is bleeding through, there's rocks behind the stone

problem4.thumb.png.7a5025427dadc73c40a1f4ac61bc9454.png

Does anyone have any idea on what is causing this and how to fix it? I would also be interested in being able to use multiple splatmaps (ideally several individual greyscale ones) to have more than 3 textures per tile, Is there another shader available that will do this?

problem3.png

It seems I found a solution for this, it was as simple as setting the wrapu and wrapv values on the mixTexture. I previously tried this on the diffuseTextures to no avail.

tMaterial.mixTexture.wrapU = BABYLON.Texture.CLAMP_ADDRESSMODE;
tMaterial.mixTexture.wrapV = BABYLON.Texture.CLAMP_ADDRESSMODE;

I now have a beautiful, seamless tiled map. I'm guessing to use more textures for splatting I will need to look at writing my own shaders, correct?

For more textures, you have to write an extension of the terrainMaterial:

https://github.com/BabylonJS/Babylon.js/blob/87abffb0e0282c071356c815be0b71196a5c24da/materialsLibrary/src/terrain/babylon.terrainMaterial.ts#L31

You need to replicate what was done for diffuseTexture1/2/3 and introduce the same code for diffuseTexture4 for instance