Sign in to follow this  
VideoGamerCoolKid

How to display text based on variables

I'm trying to make a puzzle game with Twine, and I want to know something that requires a single line of code but have to learn the whole language to figure out what to do. Let's say that at some point the player gets an axe. I'd set a variable "axe" to 1. Then, later in the game, there's a tree in the player's way. I want to have it so that the option to chop down the tree only appears when the player has the axe. So, if "axe"=1, an option to cut the tree appears. I tried googling it but I couldn't find what I'm looking for. Also, let me know if my assumptions are completely wrong. If I don't get help, I'll have to take a stupid course just to do one thing.

You're almost certainly best of asking this in the Twine forums (I think they also have a Discord channel) to find out how to do it in that platform.

In general programming you're talking about applied logic, specifically you're after a conditional. As this is (primarily) a javascript board the following is a JS example:

// Create a variable, we're also initialising it here because we are pros
var axe = 1

// Conditional
if (axe === 1) {
  // This is an example of a function call, it just does 'something'
  setOption('Cut down the tree with an axe')
}

// Here is another function call
setOption('Punch the tree')

http://twinery.org/cookbook/conditionalstatements/harlowe/harlowe_conditionalstatements.html

Twine has its own syntax (three by the looks of it) for doing the same as the above, in fact, I'm not sure I've ever heard of a programming language that can not do it.