Custom sprite bounds

dgodov

Hi everyone!

I have a problem with sprite bounds. I've created a hexagon sprite using Phaser.Graphics like this:

Hexagon.prototype.create = function() {        var graphics = new Phaser.Graphics(this.game, 0, 0);        graphics.lineStyle(this.lineWidth, this.lineColor);        graphics.beginFill(this.fillColor);        graphics.boundsPadding = 0;        graphics.moveTo(0, _tileRadius);        for (var i = 1; i < 7; i++) {            var angle = Math.PI / 2 + Math.PI * i / 3;            graphics.lineTo(_tileRadius * Math.cos(angle), _tileRadius * Math.sin(angle));        }        return graphics.generateTexture();    };

and then I use it as a texture and it works fine. But it seems like it doesn't create bounds for this srpite. When I print a sprite in console it shows that bounds have Infinity size. How can I set bounds for my sprite? Tnaks in advance.

It doesn't look like the graphics object is actually added to the sprite from the code you've pasted. I imagine you need to add the following line:

this.addChild(graphics);

Upon which the extended sprite should then recalculate its bounds to include its new child object.

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. 

I use generated texture later in my code:

var hex = new Hexagon(game, 1, 0x000000, 0xFFABAB).create();var sprite = this.game.add.sprite(x, y, hex);

But it still doesn't update bounds. I also tried a level lower and added given graphics directly to stage using PIXI. I don't remember exactly, but it was something like:

game.stage.add(graphics);

And it worked fine. But when I use game.add.sprite() bounds start to behave very strange.

What is Hexagon extending? If you're adding it as the key to a sprite and it doesn't have the properties expected then the sprite bounds calculation will fail. From the docs we see that a sprite needs one of the following (as well as a string to represent something in the cache): 

Phaser.RenderTexture | Phaser.BitmapData | PIXI.Texture 

When setting the texture, the operation is passed to PIXI.Sprite, which uses the frame size to work out the bounds.

Hexagon is not a derived class. It is my class created to group some logic. 

Its main function is create() and it returns a texture which then used to create sprite.

I guess generateTexture() returns PIXI.Texture instance, so at the first glance it looks OK for Phaser.Sprite. Am I wrong?

I do it a slightly different way, relying on pixi internally generating a RenderTexture (due to an issue at the moment with Phaser's Graphics objects not being compatible with RenderTexture) but it gets the same results: http://jsfiddle.net/lewster32/xXbAD/

I've not delved deep enough into the workings of the textures, but I assume the problem lies with the creation of the texture frame maybe? Certainly a bounds size of Infinity suggests a division by zero somewhere, so I think you may have to trace backwards through the Phaser and pixi sources to see how a texture is added to a sprite and where the frame size is calculated.

• 5 weeks later...