Is GM:S a good tool for making HTML5 games for mobiles?

NokFrt

Hi,

My name is Tomas and for last two weeks I'm playing with YoYo Games GameMaker: Studio. I think it's a great tool for making 2D games, but I'm not sure if the performace of HTML5 games made with it is ok for mobile phones, so my question is: Is GM:S a good tool for making HTML5 games for mobile browsers or should I avoid it?

Thank you for you advice.

Tomas

It´s definitely a good tool for Html5 games, I use it too. But there are some limits you must deal with: PNG export only (no JPEG),  you can´t mirror sprite animations in real time and physics are not very fast. Game Maker has bugs and limits but its a great tool for 2D games. Construct is more experimental and completely different, but also a fantastic programm...

Thanks for your responses. Yesterday I tried some of  HTML5 games from YoYo Games website on my Android tablet (one of the latest model with Tegra3) and all games run very slow in the Chrome mobile browser and all without sounds. I tried some other games not made with GM:S and they are usually faster and sometimes with sounds.

I want to converter some of my J2ME games (which I made some years ago) to HTML5 and I want try to monetize them. In my opinion GML language and UI of GM:S IDE is terrible (I'm used to MS Visual Studio and C++, C# languages) but what I like about GM:S very much is the possibility to easy build my games for multiple platforms (PC, Mac, Android, iOS, HTML5) - this is really a huge benefit for me.

So if I use GM:S for HTML5 mobile games are there any problems with that? Are games made with GM:S accepted by sponsors (publishers) without problems? I meanGM:S HTML5 games can't play sounds, and what about if the sponsors requieres me to implement some of his API for example for Ads or High scores - how can I do that in GM:S?

Tomas

The games will be accepted by sponsors. Some sponsors actually use GameMaker in house. Ads, apis and everything else is also possible with GM's extension functions and some java script knowledge. See here for a tutorial on making your own extensions. Clay.io, for example, has their own extension to put their ads, leaderboards, achievements and more into GM. Is quiet easy to do too, just see here.

You can pretty much do what you want with GM, you just need to know more than just GM sometimes but that is your case.

The games will be accepted by sponsors. Some sponsors actually use GameMaker in house. Ads, apis and everything else is also possible with GM's extension functions and some java script knowledge. See here for a tutorial on making your own extensions. Clay.io, for example, has their own extension to put their ads, leaderboards, achievements and more into GM. Is quiet easy to do too, just see here.

You can pretty much do what you want with GM, you just need to know more than just GM sometimes but that is your case.

Thank you very much, this is exactly what I need to know.