Painfully Slow Scene Loading

reddozen

I just switched to binary meshes, packaged all my meshes into a collective package instead of each mesh having it's own package, and converted all my textures to DDS.

Is DDS textures, having the models all in 1 package, and the binary loading slowing down the time it's taking to render the objects? I think we were running TGA textures before. Also, it seems like my lighting is all screwed up after switching to the binary files.

Any suggestions?

Edit:

Maybe the scene isn't being saved to the cache?

Here's my problem... all my meshes are currently packed into packages. The entire package isnt needed in the scene as it will be used across multiple maps. how can I load only the objects i want from my babylon package using LoadScene? It's a disadvantage for me if the only way I can use binary is by loading an entire package. This will cause me a lot of redundancy with the 5,000+ models I have.

Of the 3 packages in my current scene, 2 load fine, and one refuses to load any meshes at all. I updated the scene loader to give you an alert when it goes into each package. prt_f01 doesn't load. I rebuilt the file from the 3ds exporter 3 times. I'm not sure what the issue is.

It reads the manifest, but then doesn't actually load anything. No errors or warning on my debug.

I think you may be right though... I think this is an incompatibility with binary format and ImportMesh... I'll make a new export of the scene without binary.

EDIT:

Even without binary, my one package doesn't load.... I don't get it.

Apparently it doesn't work exclusively on the webpage, i tried on my localhost with ImportMesh the whole package and it got loaded in 3 seconds, so it's pretty weird.

Would be better to actually do every mesh individually in a single .babylon file? would it be faster? It can be painful to convert every single mesh since the 3ds max export doesn't have batch export, but i'm willing to code a maxscript that supports it if that makes it any better (would be the text and not hte binary version though, but it can be worked out i guess).

With so many meshes it's hard to see what's the best option to get them together fast, and not all of them.

restrictive web host won't let us change configurations sadly...

We've never had a problem until recently, and the errors are I think material types that are within unreal engine that are not supported fully by 3DS or babylon. I think 3DS is just ignoring them, but they're getting passed along to babylon.

I would love to enable gzip compression, but not completely sure how...

Maybe add something to the babylon exporter that will ignore materials and everything associated with the material if it doesn't have a file type extension?

Also, any suggestions for how we can package these items? What would be nice is if there was a way to define a list of models to load from a babylon file instead of just a single item, or maybe you can already do that with an array? I'm not sure. Would be better than  me loading everything and then trying to destroy everything that we aren't using from the package after we've wasted the time loading it into memory, and the player downloading it unnecessarily. I would much rather keep the files packaged together instead of giving every model it's own babylon file (especially since we would have to export every model 1 by 1 by hand).

I'll try to track it down to a specific mesh generating the bad material. We're having a hard time finding which mesh is trying to load it.

Thanks for the tip on importMesh. That will help a LOT.

UPDATE:

soooo... the errors for "material_0 Not Found". If you have a dead or hanging material on you max file, then it renames the material to the material slot that it was assigned to, hence the material_## naming convention...

What I recommend is one of a couple things... either don't export materials without a file link (these have no file link, and no file extension) and throw a warning on the export window like you do for models that are too large, or don't export the model at all and list an error to the export window so anyone could see that they have a problem with their model and missing materials.

The problem was that clearing my cache wasn't actually clearing it. I had to add version 2 to the manifest, and the package that wouldn't work started working.... how can you manually clear the model cache and force a resync? used to I could just hold shift and click refresh.