Move the sprite but don't collide with other sprites in the scene in Phaser

Hitman666

Hey guys,

This is my first post on this forum. I posted the question, after I tried to solve it myself, on StackOverflow: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/30076423/move-the-sprite-but-dont-collide-with-other-sprites-in-the-scene-in-phaser

but am trying here to because I think I'll get help quicker. I'm pasting the question below:

I'm referring to the official example on Phaser.io site, but have copied it here for reference below. What I want, and repeatedly fail to achieve is that the moving (with keyboard keys) starfieldsprite would not collide with other vegies sprites.

I did go through the docs and looked here on SO and their forum, and it seems that the solutions should be easy enough; to just put the following code in the update() function:

game.world.bringToTop(sprite);

But, for some reason this is not working for me, so please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

var game = new Phaser.Game(800, 600, Phaser.CANVAS, 'phaser-example', { preload: preload, create: create, update: update });function preload() {	game.load.image('sky', 'assets/skies/sky4.png');    game.load.image('starfield', 'assets/misc/starfield.jpg');    game.load.spritesheet('veggies', 'assets/sprites/fruitnveg64wh37.png', 64, 64);}var sprite;var cursors;var veggies;function create() {    game.add.image(0, 0, 'sky');	//	Enable p2 physics	game.physics.startSystem(Phaser.Physics.P2JS);    //  Make things a bit more bouncey    game.physics.p2.defaultRestitution = 0.8;    //  Add a sprite    sprite = game.add.tileSprite(300, 450, 200, 50, 'starfield');    //  Enable if for physics. This creates a default rectangular body.	game.physics.p2.enable(sprite);    veggies = game.add.group();    veggies.enableBody = true;    veggies.physicsBodyType = Phaser.Physics.P2JS;    var vegFrames = [ 1, 3, 4, 8 ];    for (var i = 0; i < 10; i++)    {        var veg = veggies.create(game.world.randomX, game.world.randomY, 'veggies', game.rnd.pick(vegFrames));        veg.body.setCircle(26);    }    text = game.add.text(20, 20, 'move with arrow keys', { fill: '#ffffff' });    cursors = game.input.keyboard.createCursorKeys();}function update() {	sprite.body.setZeroVelocity();	game.world.bringToTop(veggies);    if (cursors.left.isDown)    {    	sprite.body.moveLeft(400);        sprite.tilePosition.x -= 8;    }    else if (cursors.right.isDown)    {    	sprite.body.moveRight(400);        sprite.tilePosition.x += 8;    }    if (cursors.up.isDown)    {    	sprite.body.moveUp(400);        sprite.tilePosition.y -= 8;    }    else if (cursors.down.isDown)    {    	sprite.body.moveDown(400);        sprite.tilePosition.y += 8;    }}

By calling, 

game.world.bringToTop(sprite);

doesn't prevent it from colliding with other sprites, it's just moving it's display "up" in the stack, essentially so it won't hide behind anything else on screen.

To prevent it from colliding, you want to turn off the sprite's physics body.

//  Enable if for physics. This creates a default rectangular body.  game.physics.p2.enable(sprite);

Remove this line and it won't collide with anything else.

Or if you simply don't want it colliding with veggies, remove this line,

veggies.enableBody = true;

this would prevent the veggies from colliding with anything.

You're using P2 Physics, which means you need to use collision groups to control what collides with what. If you don't use custom collision groups then they all exist in the same group, and everything hits everything.

There is an example that shows this: http://phaser.io/examples/v2/p2-physics/collision-groups

You'd need a variation on that.

You're using P2 Physics, which means you need to use collision groups to control what collides with what. If you don't use custom collision groups then they all exist in the same group, and everything hits everything.

There is an example that shows this: http://phaser.io/examples/v2/p2-physics/collision-groups

You'd need a variation on that.

Thank you rich,

I'm posting the code with what I came up with, in case someone will need something like this:

var game = new Phaser.Game(800, 600, Phaser.AUTO, 'phaser-example', { preload: preload, create: create, update: update, render: render });function preload() {    game.load.image('stars', 'assets/misc/starfield.jpg');    game.load.spritesheet('ship', 'assets/sprites/humstar.png', 32, 32);    game.load.image('panda', 'assets/sprites/spinObj_01.png');    game.load.image('sweet', 'assets/sprites/spinObj_06.png');}var ship;var starfield;var cursors;function create() {    //  Enable P2    game.physics.startSystem(Phaser.Physics.P2JS);    //  Turn on impact events for the world, without this we get no collision callbacks    game.physics.p2.setImpactEvents(true);    game.physics.p2.restitution = 0.8;    //  Create our collision groups. One for the player, one for the pandas    var playerCollisionGroup = game.physics.p2.createCollisionGroup();    var pandaCollisionGroup = game.physics.p2.createCollisionGroup();    //  This part is vital if you want the objects with their own collision groups to still collide with the world bounds    //  (which we do) - what this does is adjust the bounds to use its own collision group.    game.physics.p2.updateBoundsCollisionGroup();    starfield = game.add.tileSprite(0, 0, 800, 600, 'stars');    starfield.fixedToCamera = true;    var pandas = game.add.group();    pandas.enableBody = true;    pandas.physicsBodyType = Phaser.Physics.P2JS;    for (var i = 0; i < 4; i++)    {        var panda = pandas.create(game.world.randomX, game.world.randomY, 'panda');        panda.body.setRectangle(40, 40);        //  Tell the panda to use the pandaCollisionGroup         panda.body.setCollisionGroup(pandaCollisionGroup);        //  Pandas will collide against themselves and the player        //  If you don't set this they'll not collide with anything.        //  The first parameter is either an array or a single collision group.        panda.body.collides(pandaCollisionGroup);        panda.body.velocity.x = 500;        panda.body.velocity.y = 500;    }    //  Create our ship sprite    ship = game.add.sprite(200, 200, 'ship');    ship.scale.set(2);    ship.smoothed = false;    ship.animations.add('fly', [0,1,2,3,4,5], 10, true);    ship.play('fly');    game.physics.p2.enable(ship, false);    ship.body.setCircle(28);    ship.body.fixedRotation = true;    //  Set the ships collision group    ship.body.setCollisionGroup(playerCollisionGroup);    //  The ship will collide with the pandas, and when it strikes one the hitPanda callback will fire, causing it to alpha out a bit    //  When pandas collide with each other, nothing happens to them.        game.camera.follow(ship);    cursors = game.input.keyboard.createCursorKeys();}function hitPanda(body1, body2) {    //  body1 is the space ship (as it's the body that owns the callback)    //  body2 is the body it impacted with, in this case our panda    //  As body2 is a Phaser.Physics.P2.Body object, you access its own (the sprite) via the sprite property:    body2.sprite.alpha -= 0.1;}function update() {    ship.body.setZeroVelocity();    if (cursors.left.isDown)    {        ship.body.moveLeft(200);    }    else if (cursors.right.isDown)    {        ship.body.moveRight(200);    }    if (cursors.up.isDown)    {        ship.body.moveUp(200);    }    else if (cursors.down.isDown)    {        ship.body.moveDown(200);    }    if (!game.camera.atLimit.x)    {        starfield.tilePosition.x += (ship.body.velocity.x * 16) * game.time.physicsElapsed;    }    if (!game.camera.atLimit.y)    {        starfield.tilePosition.y += (ship.body.velocity.y * 16) * game.time.physicsElapsed;    }}function render() {    game.debug.text('Collide with the Pandas!', 32, 32);}