Seeking Feedback on New Clay.io Feature (Dynamic Links)

austin

A couple weeks ago we rolled out our "Links" feature in the API to go hand-in-hand with some of what I mentioned in this article: "Building Games for HTML5, Not with HTML5".

The idea is to take advantage of the fact that games played from a browser have a unique URL that can hold data for various things like game saves, challenges, etc... and shared very easily through social media.

This is probably the feature that I've been most excited about from the inception of the idea because it's not something you would see in GameCenter on iOS, ScoreLoop, etc... (all of the other services similar to us that focus more on native mobile games). Every other feature we've done has been done before in some sense or another, but those other services I mentioned can't do this sort of thing because native games don't have the equivalent of URLs.

With that said, you can find the documentation here: http://clay.io/docs/links

I'd love to hear what the folks here think about this sort of thing within games - not necessarily specific to Clay.io and how we implemented the feature. Links for games in general and the unique things that can be done with them. I think the data association for links can lead to a multitude of different use cases, but it'd be interesting to hear if anyone has ideas of other areas this could be useful.