Imported meshes workflow

trecool

Hey! 

I'm struggling really hard trying to get anything to work - I checked to Playgrounds, forums and documentation but I can not find anything helpful about working with imported meshes. Am I blind? Most of the playground examples I can find work with simple meshes like cubes and spheres, but that is not helpful for me. 

var frame = new BABYLON.Mesh.CreateBox("box", 100, scene);
frame.isVisible = false;           

var loader = new BABYLON.AssetsManager(scene);

var meshTask = loader.addMeshTask("FW", "", "assets/", "groups.babylon");
meshTask.onSuccess = function (task) {                
     LIBRARY['kubus'] = task.loadedMeshes[0];
     LIBRARY['kubus'].parent = frame;
}           

And then I can scale the frame without destroying my object. This seems rather complex for such a simple task, is there a better way? 

But how do I access the object now? Anything outside the onSuccess function happens before so everytime I try to reference LIBRARY['kubus'] outside this function, I just get an "undefined" error. I tried it with onFinish and put it after loader.load(). 

Next big problem: How do I access groups I set up in 3dsmax - is it even possible? Is there a better way than looking at the parent object of every mesh and comparing them? For example, this imported object consists of 70 meshes but I have models with up to 200 meshes and this approach seems rather counter intuitive. 

And for further reading, are there any further ressources I could check out? I don't find the Playground search to be too helpful and the documentation is great when needing assistance in rendering and other engine stuff but I find it lacking in the "importing and working with meshes and objects"-department.

And what exactly is the difference between the name of an object and the name of the variable? I really don't understand this approach, is the name used internally for reference? Can I access the objects like this? Is there a way to get an overview of all objects in a scene? 

Thanks for all the help! :)

Hi @trecool the assetsManager is a great tool to have,

You can achieve what you're trying to do with several methods,

you are correct trying to use LIBRARY['kubus'] before it has loaded will end in a error,

but you could "delay" your code which uses it, until it has loaded.

example:

loader.onFinish = function (tasks) {
  //All AssetsManager tasks are loaded & ready.
    loadingComplete();
};

function loadingComplete(){
  //The loader is finished, continue building your scene, LIBRARY['kubus'] should no longer return a undefined error.
}

As for 3ds max groups, i'm not sure actually.. try doing some console.logs of meshes and see if you can figure out whats going on compared to your 3ds max setup :) 

The name of a variable for an object/mesh is your javascript reference to that object.

e.g LIBRARY['kudus'] is your reference to the mesh(es) you have imported, but i assume you know that already^^

the babylon mesh.name & mesh.id (which are usually the same) can also be used to find a mesh using;

scene.getMeshByID(your id); //returns the first mesh with this id.

scene.getMeshesByID(your id); //returns an array of all meshes with this id.

scene.getMeshByName(your name); // returns the first mesh with this name.

scene.getActiveMeshes(); //returns a list of all active meshes in your scene

you can see all methods at: http://doc.babylonjs.com/classes/2.4/Scene

Ah, thanks! That actually gets me a little closer... :)

However, when I try the following.... 

function loadingComplete() {
                LIBRARY['kubus'].actionManager = new BABYLON.ActionManager(scene);
                LIBRARY['kubus'].actionManager.registerAction(new BABYLON.ExecuteCodeAction(BABYLON.ActionManager.OnPickTrigger, function () { LIBRARY['kubus'].material.diffuseColor = new BABYLON.Color3(1.00, 0.00, 1.00); console.log("test"); }));
                console.log("wow");
            }

it logs the "wow" but click events are not registered. I take it that the registerAction() function has to be outside other funtions in order to work? But then I'm back to my original problem, that I can't add the registerAction() to an undefined object. 

I'm sorry if this is a really stupid question but my brain is mush at this point :/