[SOLVED] When using ES6 'new ClassName()' I cannot see required params

Igor Georgiev

Hello guys :)

I have recently started doing my projects in ES6 and I am wondering the following.

//Player.js
class Player extends Phaser.Image
{
    constructor(game, x, y, sheet, key)
    {
        super(game, x, y, sheet, key);

}

}
export default Player;

//GameState.js

import Player from 'views/Player';

class GameState extends Phaser.State {

create() 
    {
      this.player = new Player();  // Cannot see required parameters

//If I call it like that
      this.player = Player.constructor() // I can see them - obviously

}

}

export default GameState;

Should I just initialize the new Player and then just call the constructor so I can actually create what I need?

It sounds like you're describing a problem with the intellisense in your editor. Your question is: my editor is not showing the constructor's parameters correctly in a tooltip?

That code "this.player = Player.constructor();" won't really do what you want and doesn't make sense. You really do want that first one, "this.player = new Player(this.game, 320, 240, 'sprites', 'player0');" (or whatever). What editor are you using?

18 minutes ago, drhayes said:

It sounds like you're describing a problem with the intellisense in your editor. Your question is: my editor is not showing the constructor's parameters correctly in a tooltip?

That code "this.player = Player.constructor();" won't really do what you want and doesn't make sense. You really do want that first one, "this.player = new Player(this.game, 320, 240, 'sprites', 'player0');" (or whatever). What editor are you using?

After 2 hours of struggling, I found the problem, the editor - in my case Webstorm - did not recognise the path of the import correctly. When I used:

import Player from "../views/Player.js";

It worked like a charm and thank you for the pointers. :)

The point you made about the Player.constructor(), I used only to make a point that the autocomplete displayed the params correctly :)