dragging problem on touch devices

dmko

Originally, I had a Sprite which I managed to drag around by something like the following:

1. Attaching pointerdown, pointermove, pointerup, pointeroutside

2. For movement- events pass InteractionData, which allows calling getLocalPosition(parent, pointHolder, interactionData.global);

3. Simply update the position to pointHolder

(there's a slight difference to my actual code where pointerdown also logs an offset which is added to the movements, and helpers/cleanup/etc. but we can ignore that for now)

This worked fine - but then I noticed that really fast movements all around tended to "lose" the object and it would stop tracking briefly. I could then duplicate it without crazy motions but the sort of use case that kids would definitely do.

So my new code took a different approach, which works perfectly on desktop but fails on the iPad:

1. only attach pointerdown to the sprite

2. when the sprite is touched:

• start a ticker
  • add pointerup and pointerupoutside to renderer.plugins.interaction (this will kill the ticker and remove themselves)

3. while the ticker is ticking:

• get the main InteractionManager from renderer.plugins.interaction
  • get the updated point via interactionManager.mouse.getLocalPosition(parent, pointHolder, interactionManager.mouse.global);
  • set the position to this

Clearly the reason this fails is because InteractionManager.mouse != touch. Is there a workaround for that?

Alternatively, is there a way to get a single global touch event, regardless of which object is active or even if no interactive objects were touched? (i.e. I could start the listener with the sprite pointerdown, but then track pointermove via a stage-wide listener to avoid the tracking problem above, even if there's no stage-sized interactive listener below it)

n/m... seems InteractionManager itself will dispatch the events more reliably for some reason... I dunno why, but this approach seems to work better than just listening on the sprite itself - and it's cross-platform :)

Maybe this base class will help others too:

export class DragContainer extends PIXI.Container {
    private touchPoint: PIXI.Point = new PIXI.Point();
    private dragOffset:PIXI.Point = new PIXI.Point();

//if listenerTarget is provided, then dragging only starts when that is touched (though this container itself is what moves)

//screenLimit sets the boundries for draggable area

constructor(private renderer: (PIXI.WebGLRenderer | PIXI.CanvasRenderer), listenerTarget?:PIXI.DisplayObject, public screenLimit?: PIXI.Rectangle) {
        super();

if(listenerTarget === undefined) {
            listenerTarget = this;
        }

listenerTarget.on('pointerdown', (iEvent:PIXI.interaction.InteractionEvent) => {

this.clearListeners();
            this.updateTouchPoint(iEvent.data);
            this.dragOffset.x = this.x - this.touchPoint.x;
            this.dragOffset.y = this.y - this.touchPoint.y;
            renderer.plugins.interaction.on('pointermove', this.onDragMove, this);
            renderer.plugins.interaction.on('pointerup', this.onDragEnd, this);
            renderer.plugins.interaction.on('pointeroutside', this.onDragEnd, this);

this.emit('dragStart');
        });        
    }

onDragMove(iEvent:PIXI.interaction.InteractionEvent) {

this.updateTouchPoint(iEvent.data);

let targetX:number = this.touchPoint.x + this.dragOffset.x;
        let targetY:number = this.touchPoint.y + this.dragOffset.y;
        let allowMove:boolean = (this.screenLimit === undefined) ? true : this.screenLimit.contains(targetX, targetY);

if(allowMove) {
            this.position.set(targetX, targetY);
            this.emit('dragMove');
        }

}
    onDragEnd(iEvent:PIXI.interaction.InteractionEvent) {
        this.clearListeners();
        this.emit('dragEnd');
    }

clearListeners() {
        this.renderer.plugins.interaction.off('pointermove', this.onDragMove, this);
        this.renderer.plugins.interaction.off('pointerup', this.onDragEnd, this);
        this.renderer.plugins.interaction.off('pointeroutside', this.onDragEnd, this);
    }

updateTouchPoint(iData:PIXI.interaction.InteractionData) {
        iData.getLocalPosition(this.parent, this.touchPoint, iData.global);
    }
}

Edited by dmko
added screenLimit code