[WIP] More Wood - Inspired by Cookie Clicker and other such games

Will

Hey guys, just wanted to show you all the game I have been working on for the last couple of months, called More Wood.

It is heavily inspired by games such as Cookie Clicker, Candy Box and A Dark Room.

Play More Wood

Just a quick bit about me, I am 14 and live in Devon (England). I have been coding since I was about 9 (started with Lego Mindstorms/Scratch) and have been coding written languages for a few years now. I started JavaScript about 4 months ago now, and More Wood is the first game and large project I have made with it, probably the main reason that it is a bit of a mess code-wise.

More Wood is also the first game that I have got to a state where I would be willing to share it with people, and where it could be considered playable or "fun". I do not claim any credit for the art as I have absolutely zero artistic talent, that was done by my friends Uppernate and Chadwick, who do not have websites for me to link to.

It is mostly finished now, though there are a good deal of bugs I need to fix, prices and difficulty to tweak, as well as a few features I have planned.

I wrote pretty much the entire thing from scratch, as I felt it would be a good way to learn JavaScript faster, though a few weeks ago I did try porting it to Phaser (though I decided against that in the end, obviously). The only things I do not claim credit for are both the DOM and Canvas sprite animation, which as of right now are not coded by me (due to laziness more than anything).

Similar to Cookie Clicker, the primary focus of the game is to click the tree on the right. This will earn you wood, which can be used to buy items, upgrades and defences. Items earn you wood and increase your Wood Per Second (WPS), upgrades tend to increase the efficiency of things, and upgrades stop Hippies. More on them now. Randomly every 20-60 seconds (currently, will eventually be relative to your current amount of wood etc,  and have waves (that will be called "Protests")) Hippies will spawn. The Hippies will walk up to your tree, and hug it! While they are hugging it, you cannot earn any wood at all. Not even click on it.

You can get rid of Hippies by clicking on them three times. Though, this does require your presence, or at least your attention which is rather unfortunate. This is where defences are needed. Currently there are three of these; The Barbed Wire Fence will act like a barrier, and can stop six hippies - you can only have one at a time! - Enraged Loggers will walk up to and kill 3 hippies, you can have 5 of these. There is also soap, which acts a bit like a mine. You can have five of these too, and when hippies step on them, both the hippie and the soap are instantly destroyed!

Oh, I do not intend to insult or offend any member of the Hippie culture, I just wanted to make a fun and interesting game. If you are offended, then don't play it.

What I really need right now is feedback on mainly the difficulty as of right now, as well as prices and Wood Per Second of each item. Bug reports would be useful too, though the chances are I already know about it...

The tree pulses in colors relative to what is happening in the game, which is why the tree may appear a bit green in the screenshot.

Feel free to share the link about (if you actually want to...), it may be WIP but I also consider it released :)

Some screenshots:

Everything!

7uxe.png

The tree:

FYHma01.png

The ticker:

qR4D5rk.png

A hippie:

4QcLr2G.png

The score display:

lejd.png

The side menu:

E9cjSRk.png

Congratulation for finishing your first game  :)

to the difficult: I think you should make the prizes and wood per second at the beginning higher. You get a axe very fast, but it will not help you very much at the beginning. But it's just a suggest :)

the hippies are a great idea btw, because this way the player will not run their computers over night

Congratulation for finishing your first game :)

to the difficult: I think you should make the prizes and wood per second at the beginning higher. You get a axe very fast, but it will not help you very much at the beginning. But it's just a suggest :)

the hippies are a great idea btw, because this way the player will not run their computers over night

Thanks!

Yeah, I do see what you mean! I will test that over the next few days. :)

Haha, yeah, I know a lot of people who did that with Cookie Clicker. I added defences so people could leave their computer, but not for too long.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes you can, even though it's not guaranteed to 100% lock it, but at least it gives more time for those who try. I don't know how you do it with IIFE though, but locking the keys could work too.

For your problem having it hard to debug, I used to have 2 development environments, Debug and Release. In your case, maybe you could use var debug = true as your condition for every debug commands that you need. For example, if debug is true, then lock keys used to open console, or if debug is true, then display frame rate. When you're done, you use the release version by setting the debug = false.

Ahhh,I just used the IIFE to stop people from accessing the games data from the console. Thanks for that!