IDE with Code Hints and Offline Visual Editor?

wind

Currently I am using Notepad++ to practice with Babylon.js, but there is no code hint like what Unity's MonoDevelop has. What Babylon.js' IDE should I use to get the code hints?

The online visual editor (editor.babylonjs.com) works, but I need an offline visual editor, because I will go to a place with very weak internet connection. I tried the offline visual editor (github.com/BabylonJS/Editor), but it does not work like the online version. Is there other offline visual editor I can use?

Hello,

My method might not be the proper one, but here's how I do :
1) engine.enableOfflineSupport=true in my scene,
2) have a .manifest file for every .babylon file used in the scene
3) use Chrome with 'local file access' enabled 

That works ! As for autocompletion, I don't know but there is this guide that might give some hints:
http://doc.babylonjs.com/generals/setup_visualstudio

Hope I helped ! I'm still curious about how other people do this though

3 hours ago, meteoritool said:

Hello,

My method might not be the proper one, but here's how I do :
1) engine.enableOfflineSupport=true in my scene,
2) have a .manifest file for every .babylon file used in the scene
3) use Chrome with 'local file access' enabled 

That works ! As for autocompletion, I don't know but there is this guide that might give some hints:
http://doc.babylonjs.com/generals/setup_visualstudio

Hope I helped ! I'm still curious about how other people do this though

Thanks. I tried to enable the offline support for the engine, but I still cannot export my editing result with the offline visual editor. I think Babylon.js could be more popular if there is a good offline visual editor like what Unity has.

Visual Studio is too heavy for my device. But VSCode is excellent, as what @Hersir suggested.

On 9/6/2017 at 2:12 PM, Hersir said:

I use Webstorm and VSCode for coding, but I dont use babylon editor. You can try to clone git and compile editor as standalone app, to have all preview feature

@Hersir : I just realized that the default code hinting feature in VSCode is not good. For example, if I type "var scene = new BABYLON.", I will not get a list of BABYLON class' properties and methods after the dot(.).

Is there a way to make the code hinting feature better?

2 minutes ago, Hersir said:

@wind Do you use TS or JS? As I use TS with ES6 imports and it works good most of the time. If you use JS you can improve code hinting by providing babylonjs d.ts file

I use JS, because JS are used on the official tutorials and examples. Where can I find the babylonjs d.ts file?

Sorry if I sounded like a noob, because actually I'm not a programmer and I'm used to other IDE's easy installation.

11 minutes ago, Hersir said:

@wind you can download it from git

Just put babylon.d.ts in your VSCode project and it should give you code hinting (add other d.ts files if you use some plugins)

All profs started as noobs ;)

There is no "File > New Project" in VSCode, unlike some IDEs. I think the VSCode is the latest version (1.15.1).

I just edit the "index.html" directly from my WAMPServer's www folder ("C:\wamp\www\The_Folder"). I tried to put the babylonjs d.ts into that folder, but there is no effect.

Did I miss something in the VSCode's installation?

I might be because you have not installed Typescript extensions for VsCode, so it's not parsing the .d.ts file.

https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/languages/typescript

Also, on my VsCode setup there's no intellisense / hint / autocomplete when writing scripts into the <script></script> tags of a .html document. Maybe you should try in a separate .js or .ts file. 

1 hour ago, SvenFrankson said:

I might be because you have not installed Typescript extensions for VsCode, so it's not parsing the .d.ts file.

https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/languages/typescript

Also, on my VsCode setup there's no intellisense / hint / autocomplete when writing scripts into the <script></script> tags of a .html document. Maybe you should try in a separate .js or .ts file. 

Yes, it's strange, because on the Welcome page, under the Customize > Tools and Languages section, there is a pop-up message that states that TypeScript support is already installed (if we hover our mouse over "Install support for TypeScript").

10 hours ago, Hersir said:

Yes I checked only js files not script tag in html

I have moved the code in the script tags in the index.html file to a separate JS file, but still no code hinting. I think I just have to get used to it. Thanks.