30+ raster/vector graphics parallax experiment - Is PixiJS a good choice?

Avenra

I'd like to make an interactive, full-window diorama (think "pop-up book") made up of dozens of raster and vector graphics (likely around 25–40). They'd animate on mouse over, unique to their depth and reposition appropriately depending on the device/window-size the app is being viewed on. I attempted this with vanilla JS and quickly hit a limit to the number of images I could use before the framerate dropped (~12 images).

PixiJS seems to be a promising option. Would it be able to handle a project like this while also hitting my cross-browser compatibility needs (IE 10 & 11, ever green)?

Thanks for the help!

Here's an excellent example another developer created, which is similar to what I'd like to do. It's using PixiJS (although it's doesn't hit our cross-browser requirements): https://codepen.io/Yakudoo/full/MyMGBX/

The key difference would be that we'd be be using a mix of raster and vector images and additionally including some simple interactive elements based on click/touch events.

Any recommendations on optimizing performance when using so many images? One possible direction we could take, design-wise, would be to cycle the raster images in and out (showing around a dozen at a time) while keeping the vector in.

Let me know if there's any other specific details you need. Thanks a lot, Ivan.

35-40 images is certainly not a problem for pixi, common pixi optimizations are working for 100-10000 objects. But large images is something universally slow, especially on retina, and you have to actually implement something before I can think of any improvements regarding sizes of your images.

Okay, I have an image stress test I quickly put together that I can share in the next day or so. Around 20 PNGs varying in size from ~200x200 up to ~1000x1000 (72dpi). It totaled to about 5MB between all of the images. Performance was much better in Chrome and Firefox than in Safari 10. The latter saw a significant hit to the framerate.