Same game, same computer, poor performance on 4k monitor

Secretmapper

Hello

I have an MBPr with an external 4k monitor. Specs - 2017 13" mbpr, dell p2415q. Both screens have a 60hz refresh rate

When working on my game on my native/built-in monitor, it achieves 60fps handily. However, to my surprise switching the game to my external monitor slows the game down significantly to 30fps.

Is there an explanation for this, and is there a way I can workaround this issue? It's confusing to me as the game still has the same resolution and is running on the same machine, but the game seems to just be capped at 30fps at the external monitor.

Yes I'm splitting/extending my displays. It's interesting that it has the same 'problem' even with no split display - I have heard before that frame rate is tied to refresh rate but it's confusing as my monitors have the same.

I wonder how it will work out if I mirror the displays

Does the problem remain same when you change from split display to mirroring OR it at least gets slightly better?

There are three modes - 1) Split/extend display 2) Mirror display (i.e. same content on both screen) 3) Only show content on one of the two screens.

In my case the option 3 was faster than option 1. But it was still laggy, for reasons I don't know.