Best engine for isometric RPG

kolkat

I apologise for asking a question that's probably been asked many times already, but all the info I could find is years old, so I'll ask again.

As of 2018, which engine/framework do you think is best for an old-school isometric RPG? Like an old Final Fantasy game with isometric perspective.

I have tried to evaluate several options, and so far I think the best is either Phaser or Melon.

I think melon looks slightly easier for the isometric aspect, but seems to be lacking some features and I was a bit disappointed to encounter a few graphical glitches in their isometric example game.

Phaser seems to be a more mature framework, but I haven't been very impressed with the toolchain and workflow for creating an isometric game. It seems that I have to use several external tools and write way more code than I would like just to get a basic prototype working. I have been tempted to use the phaser isometric plugin but then noticed that the last commit is from 3 years ago :( Also performance wasn't great, but that's probably due to me being a total noob and not an important consideration at this stage.

I have also tried construct 3 but I'm just too worried about its limitations.

I have quite a bit of experience with Unity and this is going to be my first JavaScript game.

Now coming here I didn't expect to find a JavaScript Unity for 2D games, but I am a little disheartened with what I've seen so far. I wanted something more Unity-like. In fact Construct isn't too far off, if only it let me write some code the way I like it instead of forcing me to jump through some ridiculous hoops with their "you can do anything without code" crap.

Anyway I'm sure I've missed something. I haven't fully evaluated the isogenic engine yet that looks like a good candidate.

But I'd like to hear some suggestions from you people who have some experience with html5 game development please. What do you think I should use?

• 1 month later...

I would suggest LibGDX and Cocos2D bt persoanlly i would prefer LibGDX because it seems pretty great to me, though I just started with it about a week ago. It's in Java, which is pretty similar to C# that you should be familiar with coming from Unity.

One thing you may find interesting about it, though I haven't actually used it, is that the Camera object has a setting for Isometric.

Regards,

Adrian Gates

Sr. Developer - Apps4Rent.

On 6/8/2018 at 9:24 PM, kolkat said:

I think melon looks slightly easier for the isometric aspect, but seems to be lacking some features and I was a bit disappointed to encounter a few graphical glitches in their isometric example game.

Hi, I would really be interested in some feedback on this one, first on the missing features (so that they can be added) and then on the glitches one, although honestly I am not seeing anything wrong in the example.

over the years few isometric projects have been done an with a pretty good result, like GIK, (that seems to unfortunately be down right now), and recently someone is also working on a RPG isometric game, see the post here about recent discussion around it and a short video of it here (bit choppy due to the capture).