Trivia game examples

Mekaboo

Hello!

Ive seen various styles of game examples but little to none of the trivia format. I was wondering are there any PG or examples that I use to start me off..my goal is to make an educational trivia video game!

Thank ya ?

Mekaboo

Edited by Mekaboo
Add words

With basic JS knowledge you can pull this off fairly easy.

The decisions you need to make is how to represent the questions visually and how to do input/validation.
Remember BJS is just the graphics engine, your Trivia Engine structure can be anything in the background to organize the data.  You might even be able to find a like a  external library for handling the trivia structure.

Maybe start with creating a way to display the trivia questions on planes like cards, and figure out how you are going to handle input.

A simple JS Object like
{
id:1,
question:"How does one make a trivia game?"
answers : [
   "You dont.",
   "A little bit at a time",
   "Is this a trick question",
],
answerValues:[
]
}

Make a bunch of those and start with that.

Hey Meekz... have you done any research-into the availability of the data files from "Trivial Pursuit"tm ??

I wonder if they are For Sale/Free for non-commercial uses.  An interesting topic.

I love the "educational" part of your idea.  Are you a teacher, by chance? (if ya don't mind me asking)

Myself and others have done some talk here... about using happy dancing text-mesh... in a happy environment... to help kids want to learn to read.  (Ok, it was mostly ME talking about the teaching part.)  :)  So, I am a bit curious about your teaching motives/ideas/thoughts.  *shrug*   Text-mesh could be used for trivia games, too.

Sir @Pryme8 Even though Ive been teaching myself coding in general for 3 years Im still not fully comfortable with Mysql but will for sure give it a shot! For some reason I feel Mysql is a necessary evil?

Hey Sir @Wingnut!!! First off THANK YOU for liking my idea? Not an Educator but I got the idea from my childhood. Im an early 80's baby and growing up there was a show called "Where in the world is Carmen San Diego" which was something like a kids' version of Jeopardy. I did some research and realized that the show as well as the company that created the show has been defunct for 20 + years. I think it would be cool to bring something like that back. It would get kids as well as adults to learn about things they don't know as well as refresh memories on things they do know! I love the text mesh idea as well as the box animations..this one is my fave

https://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#2A4NUR#6

Makes me think of fireworks or an elaborate water display?

As far as Trivial Pursuit will look that up..Ive played quite a bit of that in my day ?

@Mekaboo

I'll answer for @Pryme8, as I might likely know him better than perhaps anyone on this forum. (DISCLAIMER - I CANNOT REPRESENT ANY OPINION STATED BY @Pryme8) although this might change from minute to minute due to his over thinking every thing.?

However, I would say YES... with a caveat. You can certainly accomplish all using WebGL and specifically the babylon.js framework... however, I would personally use React/Preact and Redux for a simpler and more dynamic solution. And you can find several tutorials online on how to build a trivia app using these frameworks. So please amp it up a bit, and add the mesh and other object rendering components offered in WebGL.

At least you've chosen the best WebGL framework... in my opinion.

DB

@Mekaboo

If you met me, I doubt you'd have the same opinion...?

Anyway, here's a tutorial for building a trivia game in React/Redux. If you don't know the React/Redux workflow, it will appear overwhelming at first. However, I was able to write apps using these frameworks with WebGL in just week... with about 7 hours of study. This will also make you application much more manageable, as well as open up a whle new future for working in the front-end development industry as these are currently the best APIs available... in my opinion. If you already know this, than please forgive my assumptions.

https://mitchgavan.com/react-quiz/

DB

http://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#4AAUE3#2

anyone know why the uv on the last face is not updating, its on the right face that shows blue and red.

Also I am trying to get the UV correct so that the back and front and separate on the same UV, but it looks like even with my ratio calc there is still a small strip of black on the bottom of the major faces, so I have to be off on my math somewhere.

*just messing around* not important...

@dbawel

This is wonderful and nope Im extremely new to this so it amazes me!! I just looked this up..love this concept as well

http://coenraets.org/blog/2016/08/building-a-trivia-app-with-react/

Its giving me "Jeopardy" vibes lol! From the responses on this page it seems like you it doesnt take alot of time to construct and Ive been told Im quick learner so...?

Im soooo looking forward to building this..I cant wait!!

??,

Mekaboo

Sir @dbawel

Can I use the code from React and graphics from BJS. I was wonder can I make plane mesh cards then add the RJS code to the cards? I saw on the RJS page I can add code to a site but dont know if it has been used with BJS.

@Mekaboo

Absolutely! And this offers you a far more manageable application. However based upon your question, I'll assume you don't know these frameworks. I must stress again that learning React/Redux/Webpack appears VERY overwhelming at first. However, as mentioned before, it only took me a week before I built my first application.

Here are two links that will be invaluable to you if you decide my advice is valid:

https://doc.babylonjs.com/resources/babylonjs_and_reactjs

And the 'REAL' pioneer as far as I know @brianzinn's Github repo:

https://github.com/brianzinn

He's the man you should be talking to if you intend on using React/Redux calling canvas' rendering WebGL.

Cheers,

DB

28 minutes ago, Pryme8 said:

http://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#4AAUE3#2

anyone know why the uv on the last face is not updating, its on the right face that shows blue and red.

Also I am trying to get the UV correct so that the back and front and separate on the same UV, but it looks like even with my ratio calc there is still a small strip of black on the bottom of the major faces, so I have to be off on my math somewhere.

*just messing around* not important...

@Pryme8 - Dude, you're such a B-hole!

DB