Tracking which button was clicked through the same event handler

kbmonkey

Hi all! I have an interesting question today: I am making a game that requires me to build some buttons that use the same callback:

this.buyButtons = [];        for (var n=0; n<8; n++)        {            var y = 10 + (n * 35);            this.buyButtons.push(this.add.button(10, y, 'buyButton', this.dealButton, this, 2, 1, 0));        }

The buttons perform the same task with a modifier counter, how can I pass an "Index" or similar value to the Callback so it knows which of the 8 buttons was clicked?

dealButton: function (pointer) {        // which button was clicked this time?        // setting a custom property value on each button object would work        // but then I need a reference to the button to test against.    },

Thank you :)

Just from my head, would it work ?

this.buyButtons = [];this.tempButtons = [];for (var n=0; n<8; n++){  var y = 10 + (n * 35);  var button = this.add.button(10, y, 'buyButton', this.dealButton, this, 2, 1, 0);  button.nameButton = "button" + n;  this.buyButtons.push(button);}// laterdealButton = function(pointer){  this.tempButtons.push(pointer.nameButton);  if(pointer.nameButton == "bouton1"){  }}

Sprites (and therefore Buttons) have a name property. So set that to something useful :) And also the first parameter sent to dealButton will be a reference to the button itself, not the pointer (that's the 2nd parameter). So modify your function to:

dealButton: function (button, pointer) {        console.log('you clicked', button.name);    },

Ah thank you very much to both of you. Setting a custom property on the button object fixed it.

And thanks for that details about the 2 parameters Rich, I was looking for the callback signature in the docs but guess I am still learning the JavaScript way of doing things.

I would make waffles for both of you :lol: