Mouse click event not working for group

rahulng

Guys I have the following code to make a star sprite and 2 firstaidbox(added through group) sprites.what i want is that when i click the star the firstaid boxes should dim(alpha=0.5) and vice versa.however the mouse event doesnt seem to work when I click the firstaid boxes.

function create ()
        {

starimage = game.add.sprite(100,100,"star");

starimage.inputEnabled=true;
                    starimage.events.onInputDown.add(listener,this)

bots=game.add.group();//the firstaid boxes
                    for(var i=2;i<4;i++)
                {
                    var myvar=bots.create(i*100,100,'firstaid');

myvar.inputEnabled=true;

myvar.events.onInputDown.add(listener,this);
                }

}

function listener(sprite, pointer)
        {
            if(sprite==starimage)
            {
                sprite.alpha = 0.5;
                bots.alpha=1;
            }

if(sprite==bots)
            {
                alert("clicked");
                sprite.alpha = 0.5;
                starimage.alpha=1;
            }

}

Hmmm, I'm very new to both javascript and phaser, but if the == operator is anything like the == operator in java then your problem is in the

if(sprite==bots) line.

bots is the group and sprite is just one of the sprites in that group so it will never evaluate to true even if the sprite is part of that group, assuming == works like it does in java. 

In my phaser code I've been looping through the group and checking each sprite against each entry in the group:

for (var i = 0; i < bots.length; i++) {

if (bots.getAt(i) == sprite) {

//bot onClick code here

}

}

One of us is doing it the wrong way, and it could be me, but I thought I'd post just in case I am right because that would make sense and it'd be helpful if I was. When I'm at my computer and have more time I'm going to look into it because if your way is correct I could simplify my code a lot. if == can be implemented by each object similar to .equals in java then that'd explain it.

Hope I didn't waste your time, if I did then thanks though because that means you taught me something :)

Moe is right,  if(sprite==bots) is your problem.

The callback is passed the sprite you clicked on, not the group it belongs to.

If that callback only belong to the star and first aid boxes, perhaps a simple else statement:

function listener(sprite, pointer)        {            if(sprite==starimage)            {                sprite.alpha = 0.5;                bots.alpha=1; //<< Not sure about this working, you may have to call bots.setAll('alpha', 1);            }            else            {                alert("clicked");                sprite.alpha = 0.5;                starimage.alpha=1;            }        }

Thanks a lot guys .both of you.you have to cycle through each bot to verify like moe91 said and XekeDeath you were right too thebots.alpha doesnt work.bots.setAll('alpha',1) works fine.just one question tho if i wanted to set only a few specific bots to alpha what would I do?