[SOLVED] - place mesh in the center of the camera view

nogalo

Hi.

I am visiting this forum a lot because i recently started working on several projects using babylon.js  am absolutely in love with it. This is my first post/question ever tho and I hope you can help me.
Also, I put "VirtualStoreProject" in the name because I believe I will have a few more questions during this so I want to 

I started working on Virtual Store project, and I created proof-of-concept page just to try some things out before going into the real work. Here is a link to that (looks awful at the moment I know)
https://www.productexample.com/virtualStore/virtualStore.html

Now what I want to achieve is when I click on the mesh, that mash moves toward the center of the camera view. For now the implementation is not very fancy 

targetPosition = new BABYLON.Vector3(camera.position.x+20, camera.position.y, camera.position.z);

and this only looks okay if you are looking straight at the mesh and you are not too close to a wall in front of you (in case you do, the mesh goes outside). 

Another question I want to ask is if there are some TriggerVolumes (as they are called in Unreal Engine 4) inside Babylon. So that i only can use some inputs and interact with meshes when I am inside that volume. I've kinda implemented this in the demo using the distance between the active camera and the hit after scene.pick()  method. 

pickResult = scene.pick(scene.pointerX, scene.pointerY);
 currentMesh = pickResult.pickedMesh;
 if (!currentMesh.name.toLowerCase().includes("env") && pickResult.distance < 80) 

but I am not sure if that is good solution for this project.

Thank you all for the help. I hope you have a good day. 

Hi @nogalo welcome to the forum!  

If you want to move the object towards the center of the camera view, you can try calculating a position from the camera position added to a  scaled camera forward vector, like this playground: http://playground.babylonjs.com/#BIYF2R#2

You of course would have to take into account distance from walls, etc.

As for trigger volumes, @aWeirdo had a good suggestion in this issue if it works for you: