WIP Loyal Online + example code

ShrewdPixel

Greetings! I've been using vanilla javascript with RubyOnRails and HTML5 canvas to create an example multiplayer RPG called Loyal Online. It's been tested to work on Desktop, Android, and iOS with acceptable performance. It's made with open-source graphics from OpenGameArt.org, with artists credited during the intro.

I'll be re-writing it with pixi.js this week to increase my overall production and have better graphics, but I thought I share it now that I've joined HTML5 Game Devs.

Feel free to try it out, and if you would like to see how it was coded I've provided a link to the main Javascript file with comments included.  (I can't share the rest of the RubyOnRails files for security tho). https://github.com/Palmweaver/Loyal-Online-VanillaJS/tree/master

Please also keep in that since it's a MMO style game, you'll need to log-in with either Facebook or Google. (I don't take passwords, it's more secure to use Omni-Auth)

I'd love any feedback that you can provide, and if the code from it can be of any use to anyone as a working example then help yourself.

The game can be played at shrewdpixel.com

Screen Shot Loyal.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 1.18.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 1.19.01 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 1.19.41 AM.png

On 1/28/2019 at 4:44 PM, ShrewdPixel said:

Please also keep in that since it's a MMO style game, you'll need to log-in with either Facebook or Google. (I don't take passwords, it's more secure to use Omni-Auth)

Maybe think about adding a guest login feature at least for a beta?

(I don't have Facebook, and I try to limit what Uncle Google thinks of me.  )

1 hour ago, Wolfsbane said:

Maybe think about adding a guest login feature at least for a beta?

(I don't have Facebook, and I try to limit what Uncle Google thinks of me.  )

Thanks for responding to my post!

I won't be adding any more to this particular incarnation, because I'm doing an entire rebuild with the pixi.js library to include isometric projection and make faster progress.

Since I'm not really that invested anymore in this particular build, I completely don't mind if most folks don't try it out; I've mainly posted this as an example to help people learning with the source-code that I've linked to.

I've already been answering several posts about basic Javascript programming/Game logic questions on the forum in the past 2 days(I joined on Monday), and from what I've seen there are several beginning coders who could use a lot of help. So providing a link to the 5000+ lines of working code that sets up an HTML5 canvas game from scratch that includes a splash screen, intro, database, and networking seemed like it could help more people than just the answers I have time to provide to individual posts.

To specifically address your response: I will certainly be adding a guest login or demo section to my next build, as well as more options for Omni-Auth login. (I'm thinking of adding twitter and github to the list -  there's a full list of supported options here)

Most of all, Thanks for the feedback and wish me luck with the next build.