create animation dynamically

InsaneHero

Hi all, this might be the wrong place to ask (I suspect the answer will be to drop down to PIXI) but I figure it's worth a try here first :)

I am running some intensive processes which produce an animating series of images.  I want to record those images (preferably without displaying on screen, but that's not crucial just yet) so I can play it back in Phaser as an animation.

I've just spent a few hours going up and down through Phaser documentation, looking at Animation, AnimationManager, Camera, Stage, Sprite and a bunch of other classes trying to work out how to do this.  But I'm stuck.

I've created a Phaser.FrameData object and an Animation which references it.  Then I'm using PIXI.RenderTexture.render to get a piece of the game.camera.displayObject into a surface.  This all seems to work.  How do I get that texture into the Animation, and having done that, how do I get the Animation into a Sprite.animations (AnimationManager class) so it can be played back?

For anyone who has read this far, thanks for your consideration of my problem! :)

I think your best course of action is to look through the source, starting at the Loader.spriteSheet function and working your way through to find out how a  image is turned into frameData. I assume you realise an animation must be contained on a single image right now? So using a RenderTexture is fine  providing you're managing the process of placing each frame onto evenly sized left-to-right/top-to-bottom ordered regions which can then be parsed easily into frames.

Here, like this :)

var game = new Phaser.Game(800, 600, Phaser.AUTO, 'phaser-example', { preload: preload, create: create });function preload() {    game.load.image('orb', 'assets/sprites/orb-blue.png');}function create() {    game.stage.backgroundColor = '#ef3d45';    //  We're going to dynamically create an animation.    //  It will consist of 16 frames, each 22x22 pixels in size.    //      //  So the overall dimensions will be 352x22    var orb = game.make.sprite(0, 0, 'orb');    //  First create a BitmapData object at the size we need    var bmd = game.add.bitmapData(352, 22);    //  Next draw the orb image into the BitmapData 16 times (once for each frame)    var x = 0;    var y = -22;    for (var i = 0; i < 16; i++)    {        bmd.drawSprite(orb, x, y);        x += 22;        y += 3;    }    //  Add it to the display just so you can see what the final sprite sheet looks like    game.add.image(0, 0, bmd);    //  And now add it to the cache, so any sprite can use it    //  The parameters can be found in the API docs, but the important parts are to leave the URL blank and pass the bmd.canvas as the data value    //  The 22x22 is the frame size and 16 the quantity of frames    game.cache.addSpriteSheet('dynamic', '', bmd.canvas, 22, 22, 16, 0, 0);    //  Let's create a bunch of sprites all using the same new animation data    for (i = 0; i < 16; i++)    {        var test = game.add.sprite(200, 100 + (i * 22), 'dynamic');        test.animations.add('float');        // test.play('float', 20 + i, true); // uncomment this line and comment out the line below for some trippy fun :)        test.play('float', 20, true);    }}

Uses the sprite from the examples/assets folder.