Gravity Speed

mdhdev

Using P2 physics, what would be a realistic gravity setting for a marble falling to the ground?

I have set game.physics.p2.gravity.y = 500 which seems a bit slow in firefox but quite a bit faster in Chrome.

500 sounds a bit hight and i'm wondering if that's a normal setting? Also, is it normal to have speed differences between Chrome and Firefox?

No 500, is not unusual neither extreme, at least for the arcade physic I use, never tried the P2 but I guess it's the same speed (I said I guess).

I know in arcade physic engine, when you go beyong 1000 or so, you need to use the game.physics.arcade.TILE_BIAS, to avoid having the sprite going through the floor after a relatively short free fall, don't know what's the equivalent for P2, or if any needed.

Firefox is a loosy browser quite frankly, for games.

It's filled with politics, unfortunately.

For instance the flash player is limited to 30 fps.

Why ?

Either because it's poorly implemented or <conspiracy theory>plain sabotage</conspiracy theory>.

So, I'm not surprised that javascript is slower.

The only good part is that FF is more tolerant regarding bad practices, but that's a false friend.

the new firefox is quite the same to chrome performancewise..   with webgl on linux it's a little bit slower..

if you see a difference in the speed of your marbles falling down you should activate advanced timing and display the current fps :  you should see that there is a difference in the frames per second..  because most things are calculated in frames - processing 60fps will be twice as past than 30fps - this also is true for gravity..  so make sure your game is coded in a way that you will have 60fps almost all the time..

btw.  a normal setting for p2 physics to imitate real gravitation 9.81 g would be 1200 - 1400   so don't worry.. 500 is actually very low