Runaway 'for' statement

fubeca6

Hey guys,

I'm having an odd issue. I'm trying to automatically generate a map. Here, I'm going to show the code, and then explain what happens when I run it:

// This is another class and defines a room in the game    Room: function(x, y, w, h) {        this.x1 = x;        this.y1 = y;        this.x2 = x + w;        this.y2 = y + h;            },    // Used to create rooms (a rectangle of non-blocked tiles) on the map    // SOMETHING HERE IS CRASHING     createRoom: function(room) {        for (var x = room.x1; x < room.x2; x=+32) {            for (var y = room.y1; y < room.y2; y=+32){                // change the "true" to "false" after collision is worked out                this.map.push(new this.Tile(x, y, true, true));            }        }    },

(I'm sorry, I know this code isn't pretty)

Okay, so, as you can see, a room is really just a coordinate-defined rectangle. The "map" is an array that stores "Tiles" which are coordinate-defined tiles. Whew, does that make sense? I need to go back to school for sure.

Now, that for statement, I'm going to use an example: We'll assume that room.x1 = 32, ".x2 = 96, ".y1 = 32, ".y2 =96. Nice and easy.

(1) In the first for statement: if 32  is less than 96; it is, so we change 32 to 64 and move on

(2) In the 2nd for statement: if 32  is less than 96; it is, so we change 32 to 64 and move on

(3) We append a tile to the map array with coords  (64, 64), and go back to the beginning

(5) In the next pass we append a tile with coords (96, 96), and go back to the beginning

(6) The for statement no longer applies, so it stops.

This should only run 3 times right? But it's running indefinitely and crashing my browser.

Any ideas? 

That will fix your infinite loop but, your description of what you expect that loop to do is wrong. It will push 4 tiles into the array with (x, y) in order (32, 32), (32, 64), (64, 32), (64, 64). If you want it to include 96, change '<' into '<='.

The way you describe this "In the first for statement: if 32  is less than 96; it is, so we change 32 to 64 and move on" makes it seem like you do not understand the order in which for loops work.

for (a; b; c) {  d}

a is executed before the loop d starts.

b defines the condition for running the loop and is checked before every iteration.

c is executed each time after the loop d has been executed.

Omfg! Well, If you can't tell, I'm "self-taught" (unfortunately classes in programming were not provided for a degree in Network and Server Administration). I thank you all for your answers, and I apologize for bugging with something so obvious.  :)