Cannot export Blender textures to .babylon file

dbawel

Hi,

I am not able to export UV textures applied to any mesh from Blender. To try and troubleshoot, I have tried to export a simple cube from Blender with a UV texture applied.  However, when I export from Blender, there is no path to the texture or texture info in the .babylon file.

Any help would be appreciated as I've already lost a week trying to convert FBX files from Motionbuilder with no luck - so I'm using Blender now and can view the exported meshes in Sandbox, but no texture is applied in the export.

Thank you,

David B.

blender_scene.zip

Hi David :)

I took a look at your file and you are using the Cycles render engine and the node editor. 

Unfortunately, I believe BJS exporter does not support these features of Blender.

Try using the more traditional materials and texture features of Blender render engine.

cheers, gryff :)

Hi gryff  :)

Thank you for taking a look at my last file.  I rebuilt a simple cube and applied a UV texture using the Blender renderer and kept it a simple as possible using only defaults.  When I open the .babylon file in my text editor, I can read the UV coordinates as well as the image info.  However, when I try and load the .babylon file exported from Blender, I receive the same error message with the file exported from Blender as I did when trying to export from Motionbuilder:

GET http://www.babylonjs.com/sandbox/null 404 (Not Found) 

I simply used the compositing window and unwraped the UV texture from the cube with no modifications to the default material or UV texture.

If you or anyone has time to look at this, I have attached a zip file with the blender scene, the .babyon exported file, and the texture.  Again, thank you for your help - it would appear that I'm closer today than yesterday.   :)

Cheers,

David B.

blender_scene_default.zip

Ok David, your new Blender file is fine, as is the babylon file you exported from Blender. You can see you box here:

David's Box

I tested it in the BJS sandbox too - by dragging the cube_mat.babylon and the texture into the sandbox at the same time  - worked fine.

Not sure why you are getting the 404 code - but it is not your files.

Hello gryff,

Thank you for linking me to a working scene.  I was working on an Asus laptop with nvidia graphics, and thought there must be something wrong with my system.  So, I just bought a new Asus Book Flip with the latest nvidia board running Windows 8.1, and I receive the same error message in both chrome and explorer.  Did you use the .babylon file I uploaded without modification, or did you export again from blender?  I simply cannot figure out why the file would work for you and not for me considering I just tried on a brand new fully updated system.  If you have any thoughts, I welcome anything; as I'm at a standstill, and missed a delivery tomorrow.  Again, I really appreciate your help with this, and will try next in 3dsMax perhaps - unless someone might have an idea as to what voodoo might be going on.

Cheers  :) 

David B.

Yes David, I did use the files you sent - no new export from your blender file

Looking back at your error message

and

I receive the same error message in both chrome and explorer

I tried to see if I could duplicate your error message in chrome (I normally use Firefox) - and I can, when I don't load BOTH the texture and the babylon file into chrome at the same time

So here is a step by step use of the babylon sandbox:

1. At the babylon webpage you will see 3 buttons bottom left - click the left most button (the file loader).

2. The file explorer opens - browse to the directory containing your babylon file and texture

3. Left Click on the babylon file, then CTRL + Left Click on the texture, then hit the Open button.

Works fine. The new files you sent are fine.

Here is a screen shot of what I am trying to say in above post:

1. At bottom left the "file loader" button.

2. Top left the "File Load " window - note both the .babylon file and the texture are selected  (highlighted in blue)

3. In the box marked "File Name" you see both files.

If I don't select the texture - just the babylon file - I get the same error as you in Chrome.

post-7026-0-06736300-1416195015.jpg

Hi gryff  :) 

I can't believe that it was a simple procedure in using Sandbox that hung me up all weekend.  You helped me a great deal, as my main issue was texturing using the cycles renderer in Blender - which you pointed out to me last week.  Thank you for all of you help, and for setting me straight on both Blender and Sandbox.  I can now move forward and deliver my work today.

Again, your help is much appreciated. :) 

Cheers,

David B.

I can't believe that it was a simple procedure in using Sandbox that hung me up all weekend.

Like many things in life David, once you know the answer solving the problem is simple. Sometimes, the not so simple part is finding the answer.

I've "been there, done that " a few times in my life.

Good luck with your project.