Rendering a child Sprite on top of everything else?

horkoda

I have a tile-based game with units. Each unit has a health bar above their sprite so that it is overlapping with the upper tile a bit.

To achieve that I've subclassed the Sprite class and added a Graphics object as a child. When I render a newly spawn unit above the previous unit, it will hide a nice chunk of the previous unit's health bar!

This makes sense since the new unit object was created AFTER, however I want the health bars to be rendered on top. For every unit.

Is there a nice solution to this problem? Without me having to move the Graphic objects out from the unit objects?

In the end the scene graph determines the order of every sprite on the screen. You have a few options available; you could create a null sprite with the health bar and then the actual unit graphic as two children, then you can ensure the health bars is always above the unit graphic:

var MyUnit = function(game, x, y) {  // This extends Phaser.Sprite but has no graphic of its own, so it acts a bit like a group  Phaser.Sprite.call(this, game, x, y, null);  // Create the two sub-components of the unit - the health bar and the sprite  this.healthBar = new HealthBar(this);  this.unitSprite = game.add.sprite(x, y, "unitGraphic");  // Add the sprite first...  this.addChild(unitSprite);  // ... then the health bar on top.  this.addChild(healthBar);}

The other option would be to create a group for the health bars above all of the unit graphics, and then rather than adding the health bar as a child of the unit, you'd add it to the group and update its position via the unit's update function:

var MyUnit = function(game, x, y, healthBarGroup) {  this.healthBar = new HealthBar(this);  healthBarGroup.add(healthBar);};MyUnit.prototype.update = function() {  this.healthBar.position.copyFrom(this.position);};