Dislocated Submeshs

iiceman

Hey folks,

once again a got a (newbie) question. I made a mesh in Blender, pretty much my first real try, so please don't laugh too hard :P The Problem is that it consists of 3 meshes: body, face and eyes and if i place the face as submesh (and the eyes as submesh of face). I end up getting the wrong position for the submehes when I load the main mesh in my Babylon scene.

http://p215008.mittwaldserver.info/bobbin/ (zoom out a bit and u see the black face and the blue eyes above the body)

So... what am I doing wrong?

(Hints for better modeling are greatly appreciated as well ;) )

PS: I tried to attach the files I used (babylon and blend, alternatively rar with both of them in it) and always got this:

bobbin.babylon
You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file
bobbin.blend
bobbin.rar

Am I allowed to upload at all? And if so. what am I allowed to upload?

Well, it looks fine in Blender. It only dislocates when I load the mesh into my Babylon scene. I even reproduced it when I added the 3 meshes parallel to each other (everything looks good) and set the parent with java script. Like face.parent = body; and then the face changes its position. I guess that's normal since some since it applies the transformation relative to the parent. But I don't really understand why it happens when I set things up in blender, it all looks good and then I just export the .babylon file.

And any idea why I can't upload files?

I put them in my webspace for now if anybody could have a look at it, that would be awesome!

http://p215008.mittwaldserver.info/bobbin/models/bobbin.blend

http://p215008.mittwaldserver.info/bobbin/models/bobbin.babylon

@gryff, thanks in advance... Blender is so confusing... :-/

Hey iiceman,

Nice modeling :) I can see you started with a shape (cylinder?) with a lot of faces: although it gives a nice result in the end, I tend to avoid doing that because then the mesh structure is hard to work with (many vertices, sometimes unevenly distributed). I usually start off of a cube or another very simple shape, and then define it to my linking: cutting new edges, extruding, insetting faces, etc. I also find that low poly meshes are just the best thing, especially for games: easy to animate and texture, readable, low performance impact, no weird artifacts, etc. Adding detail would then be better done in a program like ZBrush, instead of working with large numbers of vertices.

In the end it all depends on your taste & working habits, but I just thought I'd share that with you!

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. I'll try that on my next attempt for sure :P I think the whole robe doesn't look as smooth as it should be... especially the hood should be smoother I think.

Do you think that this model already has too many polygons for a babylon js game? What would be a good way to reduce the polygon count? Using the decimate modifier?

Well the whole thing is pretty smooth already, and the hood does look good IMO. I wouldn't say it has too many polygons performance-wise (especially since performance is mostly impacted by how things are coded), you're around 1,5k triangles so this is completely OK for a player model. But like I said, having less polys makes modeling easier, at least for me.

Reducing the polycount... I'm not an expert on this :D You have automatic functions that will decimate and merge stuff that is close by, and then you can just merge vertices by hand with alt-m. I guess a mix of the two is the way to go, although it may take you some time.

I just tried the decimate modifier on your mesh and it seems to do good things, especially on the hood.

Also the 'Limited Dissolve' command is useful to remove unnecessary edges without changing the overall geometry.

Finally, keep in mind that Blender doesn't have the same method of render as BJS. Your character's hood doesn't look very smooth in Blender, but renders quite nice in BJS (and will probably even better after you decimate it a bit).

Morning iiceman. Here is the fixed blend file :

Monk.zip

The monk dude was made from three objects - Body, Face, Eyes. Two of the objects had a "Mirror Modifier" on them, and the face was parented to the Body, and the Eyes parented to the Face. Each piece had a different location, rotation and scale.

I unparented the pieces (select an object to be unparented, then Alt + P), applied modifiers, location, rotation and scale - then reassembled them.

If you check the blend - click on each piece and you will see that they all have their origin at 0,0,0. With the mouse in the 3d window, hit the N Key and a panel will open on the tight side of the window at the top of that panel you can check the location, rotation and scale transforms.

If you plan on animating the figure - unparent the pieces and parent them all to an armature.

Blender is so confusing

You did a pretty nice job on the body/robe mesh :)  The more you build the easier it becomes. It is like learning to drive a car - after a while stuff becomes automatic. Over the years, I've used 3dMax, Lightwave, Truespace and a few other modelling programs - they all can be confusing at first.

cheers, gryff :)