GroundMesh + BABYLON.CSG => error

jdurrant

I create a groundmesh using these commands:

var groundMaterial = new BABYLON.StandardMaterial("ground", scene);groundMaterial.backFaceCulling = false;groundMaterial.diffuseTexture = new BABYLON.Texture("assets/ground/ground.png", scene);groundMaterial.specularColor = new BABYLON.Color3(0, 0, 0);var highres_ground = BABYLON.Mesh.CreateGroundFromHeightMap("highres_ground", "assets/ground/ground.png", 500, 500, 50, -100, 0, scene, false);highres_ground.material = groundMaterial;highres_ground.checkCollisions = true;

I'd like to excise just part of this groundmesh using CSG. So I run this command:

highresCSG = BABYLON.CSG.FromMesh(highres_ground);

But I get this error: TypeError: subMeshes is undefined

When I replace highres_ground with a simple cube, I don't get the error:

var highres_ground = BABYLON.Mesh.CreateBox("box", 20, scene);

Any suggestions on how I can convert groundmesh into a standard mesh that can be manipulated with CSG? Thanks for your help.

In preparing the files to show you the "problem," I discovered the solution on my own. :) I didn't realize (though I should have) that BABYLON.Mesh.CreateGroundFromHeightMap is async. I was trying to use CSG before the groundmesh was ready. In case it's helpful to others, wrapping the CSG commands in a scene.executeWhenReady fixed the problem for me:

var cube = BABYLON.Mesh.CreateBox("box", 20, scene);cubeCSG = BABYLON.CSG.FromMesh(cube);var ground = BABYLON.Mesh.CreateGroundFromHeightMap("ground", "ground.png", 500, 500, 50, -100, 0, scene, false);scene.executeWhenReady(function () {    groundCSG = BABYLON.CSG.FromMesh(ground);        var subCSG = groundCSG.intersect(cubeCSG);    subCSG.toMesh("csg", new BABYLON.StandardMaterial("mat", scene), scene);        cube.dispose();    ground.dispose();    });

Thanks for all your incredible work on babylon.js, by the way. It's a great package.

Another way would be to use the onReady callback in the CreateGroundFromHeightMap function :

var ground = BABYLON.Mesh.CreateGroundFromHeightMap("ground", "ground.png", 500, 500, 50, -100, 0, scene, false, function(/*groundMesh*/) {    groundCSG = BABYLON.CSG.FromMesh(ground);        var subCSG = groundCSG.intersect(cubeCSG);    subCSG.toMesh("csg", new BABYLON.StandardMaterial("mat", scene), scene);        cube.dispose();    ground.dispose();});

It was added recently (to 2.0)