Particles and material alpha

fenomas

Thanks guys :D (Pixel is awesome we decided to choose Lucy:))

Heh, I only said that because a game developer I know really did name his daughter Pixel. I always wonder if she'll wind up liking it.

Perhaps I'm just being stupid again, but if a list of transparent objects is already being sorted, why not sort particle systems (not particles) into that list, and render them as if they were a transparent object (located at the system's emitter)?

I didn't know about renderingGroupId, it's an awesome feature. I've documented it in the article about transparency & rendering order.

Perhaps I'm just being stupid again, but if a list of transparent objects is already being sorted, why not sort particle systems (not particles) into that list, and render them as if they were a transparent object (located at the system's emitter)?

That would be great, although it looks like it would need some serious refactoring of the RenderingManager and RenderingGroup classes. Which means, I wouldn't personally dare attempt it by fear of wreaking havoc in the rendering engine...

Basically particle systems (just as sprite managers) do not derive from the Node class, as meshes do. It's a different system, so mixing them to do depth-sorting is not an easy task. At least that's my conclusions by reading the sources. But yeah, that would be an awesome addition!

That would be great, although it looks like it would need some serious refactoring of the RenderingManager and RenderingGroup classes. Which means, I wouldn't personally dare attempt it by fear of wreaking havoc in the rendering engine...

Well, ParticleSystems have an emitter property which can be a node, so I'd envisioned something like a proxy. But I'm only asking if it's possible. I gather, for example, that particles usually use a different blend mode than transparent textures, so I don't know if that would prevent them from being composted together, etc.

Just wondering if any core devs had thoughts on this!  

• 2 weeks later...