player sprite not starting at correct coordinates (and I'm not sure why)

Yacob

So, I've been working on a game with an overhead perspective, using Tiled maps to make the environment. Some of my sprites aren't tiles, so to make placing them easier, I made a Tiled object containing the coordinates for the player's starting position. My player is a boy in a kayak, so I want that kayak to appear at that coordinate, as well as a sprite of a wooden dock. In create(), I find search the object layer for that "start box" object, store it in a variable, then set positions of my sprites with "startbox.x" and "startbox.y". When I draw the dock, it appears in the place on the map where it should be. However, when I give these values to my movable player, he almost always spawns way at the other end of the map. I say almost always because--mystifyingly enough--a few times some other people that tried my game had reported that the player began next to the dock, but I haven't experienced that, and it was rare for those select players as well.

I don't think it's an issue with how I'm getting the map object. I put in the literal coordinates into the player, and I still got the same problem. As soon as I put in coordinates that go over 2000, the sprite seems to start going backwards. Why is this only happening to my player? And how is it that it appeared correctly a handful of times when most of the time it didn't?

I recall experiencing same issue when teaching students Phaser/Tiled. In that instance, because of time limits, we just did a workaround (coded explicit coords), but am interested in the correct solution. If you haven't yet, have a look inside the exported Tiled JSON file for clues. Perhaps it's a matter of parsing of the right data and setting player.x/y.

So my player is supposed to spawn near the top right corner of my map. Specifically (3407.57, 214.42) since that's where my "Start" object is on the map.

I search for the object like this:

map.objects['Meta Layer'].forEach(function(element){            if (element.name === "Start")                startBox = element; //contains coords for where dock should be        });

Then I create my player like this:

//player spriteplayer = game.add.sprite(startBox.x,startBox.y,'boat_anim');player.anchor.setTo(.5,.5);

Since you're using Tiled... did you resize your physics world? Something like "layer.resizeWorld();" somewhere in your largest layer? Is there any physics code at all for the player in the update method?

My general tactic for stuff like this is to start reducing: no physics. Don't create the object from the map (i.e. not in your forEach or your map loading code). Don't animate. What if you drew the position directly using a debug method?

You say the dock is fine – is the dock a sprite with physics on it?

It might help to see your game, if you're down with that.