Optimizing scene with large number of dynamic mesh having similar texture but different position

dsman

So in my scene I will have :

1. dynamically generated meshes of type Plane

2. meshes will be in large number  (200-300)  

3. meshes will have same texture 

4. position of meshes could vary, but size will be same

Which feature of babylon should I use here to optimze speed in my scene in such case ? 

Sounds like a job for Sprites, if you are okay with a couple of limitations (sprites don't cast or receive shadows, and they don't depth-composite with transparent objects or particles).

With that said, for only a few hundred meshes I'd bet performance will be very good even with no optimization.

Not picked, won't receive shadow  will not do the job. 

And yes performance is affected greatly affected even with 200+ plane mesh. Plane mesh  doesn't have many vertices. Just 4 I guess. Still it FPS is reduced to 2/3. May be because I have mirror in scene. 

So I think instance is way to go.  

Another question on same line. 

If I have instantiated mesh picked up, how do I change its texture , affectively changing texture of all mesh instantiated from same root mesh ? 

It seems I can't access ".material"  property of instantiated mesh. 

Actually is fine if it changes texture of all instantiated mesh. And that is in fact how instance functions. So that's not a problem. 

It's only that I have an instantiated mesh with me (picked by mouse click) and not the original mesh from which it was instantiated (along with dozens other) .

So  question is how do I find mesh from which the given mesh was instantiated. Is there any standard way ? Or I have to add custom properties like "myParent" to instantiated mesh object on fly like: 

var instancemesh = origmesh.createInstance("");instancemesh.myParent  = origmesh ;

And then changing original mesh's texture when instantiated mesh is picked: 

pickedMesh = scene.getMeshByName(pickResult.pickedMesh.name); pickedMesh.myParent.material.DiffuseTexture = new BABYLON.Texture('texture.jpg', scene);

Is this the only way? Though, this might work. I am not fan of adding properties on the fly as long as I can avoid .