Building a platformer for mobile, but without tilemaps. Any tips? Occlusion culling, etc?

kriket

I am thinking of making a platformer game but without tilemaps cos the extra work needed in photoshop to create seamless tilemaps is just not worth it for me, when I can just put sprites in and make a level out of them (especially since the game will only have about 4, short-medium levels anyway). 

Can someone give me tips on how I can optimize such a platformer, made without tilemaps, for mobile?
Or if this indeed is a good way to go about this?

I am thinking about things that other engines like Unity, use. Occlusion culling, texture packing/atlases, etc.

This is a very broad question. Optimize it for what? Have you already started doing this and are having problems? If so, what are those problems?

Occlusion culling in a 2d context seems weird -- do you mean for dynamic lighting, or fog of war effects? Or just stuff off-camera?

This is a very broad question. Optimize it for what? Have you already started doing this and are having problems? If so, what are those problems?

Occlusion culling in a 2d context seems weird -- do you mean for dynamic lighting, or fog of war effects? Or just stuff off-camera?

Optimize for mobile. I havent started yet, but just wanted to know if it's possible to do this without tilemaps (since tilemaps seem the standard for platformers), and get the thing running on mobile. 

I mentioned occlusion culling since its a must for a platformer where off-screen there's going to be the rest of the level as well as the rest of the assets, and occlusion culling will theoretically increase performance many-fold. Why is occlusion culling in a 2d platformer weird? Its the standard I would assume. Appreciate any help.

I said "weird" because I've usually heard it in a 3d context, as in "triangles occluded by other triangles via depth" not "things going off-camera". That's why I wanted to make sure I understood what you were asking. Just a bug in my understanding, that's all. :)

Obviously it's going to run update on everything in the world, on-camera or no. There's one consideration.

I know Phaser has optimizations around not drawing tilemaps that are off-camera. It doesn't automatically cull offscreen DisplayObjects (including Sprites), it relies on you to set the "autoCull" property. It can get expensive doing the recursive descent into a DO's children, and its children's children, so Phaser makes you make the decision.

Obviously it's going to run update on everything in the world, on-camera or no. There's one consideration.

I know Phaser has optimizations around not drawing tilemaps that are off-camera. It doesn't automatically cull offscreen DisplayObjects (including Sprites), it relies on you to set the "autoCull" property. It can get expensive doing the recursive descent into a DO's children, and its children's children, so Phaser makes you make the decision.

Damn, thats thrown a spanner into the works. So tilemaps are better after all for platformers. 

Really hope Rich can add something here.