weratius

can you do a jsfiddle?

I'm sorry, but I can't do that, there is too much code

But I can show what I see

Planet is moving

91835bac714cd4789fcb09695913956f.png

And now it's going through

35cc7872c31bf03b1be5a14106f39e9b.png

There is the planet, the mask and the shadow in the group. And here I'm moving only planet

And shadow stands still with mask

Thank you

refer to my explanation above and make sure you are masking and grouping the objects correctly first

can you at leaste pastebin the code that calls initPlanet(), the initPlanet function and the code that moves the planets so i can see it all in one place (not here)

without a jsfiddle  it's hard to determine the issue

you are better breaking down those functions into manageable chunks so they can be setup as a jsfiddle independently easily.

also are you scrolling the texture on the planet?

refer to my explanation above and make sure you are masking and grouping the objects correctly first

can you at leaste pastebin the code that calls initPlanet(), the initPlanet function and the code that moves the planets so i can see it all in one place (not here)

you are better breaking down those functions into manageable chunks so they can be setup as a jsfiddle independently easily.

Ok, I'll make a jsfiddle

They are broken down, but it's hard to show a picture of moving planets, because I get the info object from the server, but whether the animation method and planet initialization one is enough,.. so give me 5 seconds)

also are you scrolling the texture on the planet?

@Jmp909, here it is

P.S. sorry, whole file is wrapped via Browserify so...http://jsfiddle.net/Costa595/Lzwce8hx/

sorry i meant a working version! never mind... hang on..

hard to tell without working code as I can't experiment with it.

this is a problem though i'm sure

somePlanet.mask = mask; this.layers.ourPlanets[num].mask = mask;

also you're blanking your array every time you make a new planet

this.layers.ourPlanets = []; // <= this clears the arraythis.layers.ourPlanets[num] = game.add.group(); // <= therefore there will only ever be one planet in the array, as all others are deleted

finally ... you return the sprite from your function, not a group containing the planet, mask and the shadow. so when you move the planet the mask and the shadow stay still

createdPlanets[planet].planet.x = rotatedX;

now i see you originally were moving the shadow and mask separately (now commented out) but your other errors above probably broke that

do something like this..

this.layers = {    backgroundLayer: this.add.group(),    behindTheShipLayer: this.add.group(),    otherShipsLayer: this.add.group(),    playerLayer: this.add.group()    ourPlanets: []};initPlanet: function(......) {    var thisPlanetContainer = game.add.group();    ...     ...    var somePlanet = game.add.sprite(x, y, earthBMD);    thisPlanetContainer.add(somePlanet)    thisPlanetContainer.add(shadow)    thisPlanetContainer.add(mask)     somePlanet.mask = mask    somePlanet.container = this.planetContainer // a reference to the group but see below.. can probably just use .parent() later    // later use createdPlanets[planet].planet.planetContainer.x = rotatedX; to move the whole group    // although i think you can remove this planetContainer and just use planet.parent() to get the group that contains it    // you should really do this in your creation loop rather than inside initPlanet    // your planet object should not need to know what this.layers.ourPlanets is.    this.layers.ourPlanets[num] = somePlanet // add this planet to the array of planets....    return somePlanet; // personally i would return planetContainer though to just treat the whole returned group as one object rather than worry about container/parent etc.}

sorry i meant a working version! never mind... hang on..

hard to tell without working code as I can't experiment with it.

this is a problem though i'm sure

somePlanet.mask = mask; this.layers.ourPlanets[num].mask = mask;

also you're blanking your array every time you make a new planet

this.layers.ourPlanets = [];

I've made smth. like that 

this.layers = {            backgroundLayer: this.add.group(),            behindTheShipLayer: this.add.group(),            ourPlanets: [],            otherShipsLayer: this.add.group(),            playerLayer: this.add.group()        };

So, what's wrong with the masks on that lines?

P.s. Sorry, it's really hard to show you a working code, I'm really sorry. And thank you for your help)

you're trying to assign the mask to both the group and the sprite. you can't and it's pointless anyway

also personally i prefer this method.. rather than repeating createdPlanets[planetId]= ... 

but that's just my preference !

// create our new planetvar createdPlanet = new Object();createdPlanet.planet = myObject.initPlanet(....);createdPlanet.nickname = ....// assign our planet to the arraycreatedPlanets[planetId] = createdPlanet;

actually i'd then separate it into a function

function createPlanets() {    for(var planet in planets) {        var createdPlanet = createPlanet(... some args ... nickname etc...)        createdPlanets[planetId] = createdPlanet    }}

it keeps your code in more managable chunks and therefore easier to separate out for problem identification . "one function per task"

you could fake your data for jsfiddle with eg

data = [    {id:1, name:'planet1', race:'human'},    {id:2, name:'planet2', race:'martian'}]

you're trying to assign the mask to both the group and the sprite. you can't and it's pointless anyway

also personally i prefer this method.. rather than repeating createdPlanets[planetId]= ... 

but that's just my preference !

// create our new planetvar createdPlanet = new Object();createdPlanet.planet = myObject.initPlanet(....);createdPlanet.nickname = ....// assign our planet to the arraycreatedPlanets[planetId] = createdPlanet;

actually i'd then separate it into a function

function createPlanets() {    for(var planet in planets) {        var createdPlanet = createPlanet(... some args ... nickname etc...)        createdPlanets[planetId] = createdPlanet    }}

it keeps your code in more managable chunks and therefore easier to separate out for problem identification . "one function per task"

you could fake your data for jsfiddle with eg

data = [    {id:1, name:'planet1', race:'human'},    {id:2, name:'planet2', race:'martian'}]

You know, everything works fine when they stand still, but when I try to move them.... I can't understand that(

I can't put that in fiddle, at all(( too much data in that object

Couldn't you just tell how you would move sprites with masks and shadows?

Thank you!

if you look above I have explained that I put earth, shadow and mask in its own group.... they all move as one unit

i showed this in my original example http://phaser.io/sandbox/kQxhfHbb/play

I have seen that.

But couldn't you tell me why I can't see anything when I set mask to some objects

For example:

When I set a mask to the shadow, I can't see the shadow while it moves

When I set the mask to the planet sprite , I can't see the planet (it's map) at all, and only when it goes through the mask position, I can see that.

But the main question is that: I can't see anything when I'm trying to move the group or set the same coords to the mask like others have

I'm stupid((

look at my example again.. i only move the "planet" group with my mouse. everything else (earth sprite, mask, shadow) is inside the group (hold the mouse button down to see them)

http://phaser.io/sandbox/kQxhfHbb/play

if i want more than one planet i would create another "allPlanets" group to put my "planet" group in.

i do not think you have your group/mask set up properly. did you fix the error in your code where you were assigning the mask twice? it sounds like your mask is staying in one position and you're moving everything else away from it.

• 1 year later...

Apologies for the necropost.

I've been adapting your http://phaser.io/sandbox/kQxhfHbb for a project of mine. I wanted to slow the movement of the bitmapData object. In the update function there is the code,

earthBMD.move(-1,0);

If I adjust that to -0.1 the image blurs. It seems that http://phaser.io/docs/2.6.2/Phaser.BitmapData.html#move only operates correctly with integer values.

Can anyone recommend a workaround for this?

I can slow the movement by only calling the above code a few times a second, rather than every frame, and although this does slow the movement, it produces quite a noticeable stutter.

Thanks in advance!