Bitmap Fonts - Error on change text

goyeneche

I am trying to use bitmap fonts, it actually works, but when I try to change the value I get:

"Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'texture' of undefined"

Preload

game.load.bitmapFont('font', 'assets/fonts/font.png', 'assets/fonts/font.fnt');

Create

labelHP = game.add.bitmapText(10, 10, 'font','HP',22);labelHP.text = 'HP' + player.model.state.life // This causes the error.labelHP.fixedToCamera = true;

I used littera to generate the font.

thanks

Could you post the stack trace?  -- the error doesn't really give too much information.

For a quick test, could you try just doing something like: 

labelHp.text = "HP1337";

And see if it works?

If it does, it's likely something is weird over with your player.model.state.life variable (e.g., are you sure it is a string?)

Could you post the stack trace?  -- the error doesn't really give too much information.

For a quick test, could you try just doing something like: 

labelHp.text = "HP1337";

And see if it works?

If it does, it's likely something is weird over with your player.model.state.life variable (e.g., are you sure it is a string?)

I tried with only text:

labelHP.text = "HP1337";

..Also..

labelHP.setText("HP1337");

but gives me the same error:

phaser.min.js:17 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'texture' of undefined(…)

So if you leave it as:

labelHP = game.add.bitmapText(10, 10, 'font','HP',22);labelHP.fixedToCamera = true;

Does it work and render the string "HP" without any problems?

Yes, no errors and it shows in the game.

I did it from scratch following phaser's examples and I find the problem. It only works if the text contains only string chars.

For example this works:

labelHP = game.add.bitmapText(10, 10, 'font','HP',22);labelHP.text = "test";labelHP.fixedToCamera = true;

this not:

labelHP = game.add.bitmapText(10, 10, 'font','HP',22);labelHP.text = "test1"; // <------labelHP.fixedToCamera = true;