Phaser P2 TopDownVehicle implementation

NotABlueWhale

I've been trying to set up a top-down car game for days now. I just couldn't create car-like behaviour by myself. Then I found the TopDownVehicle class in p2's change log for version 0.7.0. The class does not seem to be implemented well in Phaser however. All over the internet I haven't found a single example case or even a mention of the class being used within Phaser.

Looking at the example code found here, I came up with the following first attempt:

var car = game.add.sprite(x, y, sprite, 0);        // Create the vehiclevar vehicle = new TopDownVehicle(car.body);// Add one front wheel and one back wheel - we don't actually need four :)var frontWheel = vehicle.addWheel({    localPosition: [0, 0.5] // front});frontWheel.setSideFriction(4);// Back wheelvar backWheel = vehicle.addWheel({    localPosition: [0, -0.5] // back});backWheel.setSideFriction(3); // Less side friction on back wheel makes it easier to driftvehicle.addToWorld(game.physics.p2.world);        // Steer value zero means straight forward. Positive is left and negative right.frontWheel.steerValue = Math.PI / 16;        // Engine force forwardbackWheel.engineForce = 10;backWheel.setBrakeForce(0);

Then, when I try to update the vehicle, in order to see the results, I get the following error:

vehicle.chassisBody.vectorToWorldFrame is not a function(..)

The error makes sense, since the vectorToWorldFrame function is located in vehicle.chassisBody.data.vectorToWorldFrame instead.

I think proper implementation of this class in Phaser could help a lot of novice game designers out. Or am I missing something in the Phaser documentation? Any leads on how to best approach this?

this.car = game.add.sprite(x, y, sprite, 0);        // Create the vehiclethis.vehicle = new TopDownVehicle(this.car.body);// Add one front wheel and one back wheel - we don't actually need four :)this.frontWheel = this.vehicle.addWheel({    localPosition: [0, 0.5] // front});this.frontWheel.setSideFriction(4);// Back wheelthis.backWheel = this.vehicle.addWheel({    localPosition: [0, -0.5] // back});this.backWheel.setSideFriction(3); // Less side friction on back wheel makes it easier to driftthis.vehicle.addToWorld(this.game.physics.p2.world);        // Steer value zero means straight forward. Positive is left and negative right.this.frontWheel.steerValue = Math.PI / 16;        // Engine force forwardthis.backWheel.engineForce = 10;this.backWheel.setBrakeForce(0);

Try if this helps.

• 2 years later...

Old topic, but I'm struggling with the same problem right now. Does anyone know how to properly implement this TopDownVehicle class? I was trying to solve it basing on: click and click2 . This is how my code looks like:

this.player = this.game.add.sprite(x, y, sprite);        
        this.physics.startSystem(Phaser.Physics.P2JS);
        this.physics.p2.enable(this.player);

this.vehicle = new p2.TopDownVehicle(this.player.body);

// this.player.body.addToWorld(this.game.physics.p2.world);

this.frontWheel = this.vehicle.addWheel({
            localPosition: [0, 0.5]
        });

this.frontWheel.setSideFriction(4);

this.backWheel = this.vehicle.addWheel({
            localPosition: [0, -0.5]
        });

this.backWheel.setSideFriction(3);

this.vehicle.addToWorld(this.game.physics.p2.world); 

The error that I receive is:

this.vehicle.chassisBody.vectorToWorldFrame is not a function

I can't find anything in the phaser documentation what could help me. Do you have any suggestions how to solve it?