How good the performance on mobile devices?

Abdou23

Hello, I'm new here.

I'm thinking about creating HTML5 games for mobile devices and put them in a wrapper like phonegap/intel xdk, but I'm worried about the performance, and being inferior to native. I don't want to create extra complicated stuff, just simple casual games, but maybe I will add stuff like emitters and light effects.  Anyone have experience with porting to mobile devices would like to share his experience?

Much appreciated. 

The answer is it can have near native performance, imperceptibly near, but honestly, it depends on what you are doing, and if you use performance minded tricks like spritesheets, minimizing what you need to load, no copies of same objects/images, how well you clean up after yourself rather than defer to the garbage collection on the browser, etc.

If you want to try an example, create a project in Intel XDK for the Phaser Tile Based Game (either standard html5 and html5+cordova can be built for mobile, it just depends on whether you need to use cordova plugins), Build and side-load it to your device, then give it a play. I think the controls are a bit rough and could use some re-work, but the gist of the game is there and works nicely.

Hope that helps,

-Chad