Max exporter 0.46: Bone axis

Flomotion

Hi,

since the update of Max exporter 0.4 I cannot export bones animations anymore because the rotation axis is changed somehow.

Is this a bug or should I set things up differently? (Although I don't know how.. since I create my animations in Cinema 4D).

I hope someone knows how to set things up so I can continue to work with the Max exporter. For now I'm using 0.25. But I'd like to move along into the future ;-)

Layer 1.jpg

correct axis of rotation max exporter 0.25.jpg

wrong axis of rotation max exporter 0.46.jpg

Yeah, The bones are reacting the way they should. Only the animation of the skinned metal pieces seems buggy. These animations are not synchronized, but yet accurate.

They don't launch at the correct time stamp, in fact. I would simply suggest as a walk around to connect the two objects prior to skin to the bones. That should correct the animation and be more effective.

Hi Supermitch,

thanks for your answer. The workaround would only work in the preview created by the 'export and run' button. But if I run the created file in my set-up, the bones are rotated wrong as the first images illustrate. Furthermore, There's another element connected to the animation. And I need to be able to make that visible/invisible.

@Romanichel_2.0

I know about the FBX exporter and it works. But I would prefer to keep working with the Max exporter. (materials are somehow not exported from fbx)

• 1 month later...

I read most of the content on exporting from 3ds Max but haven't seen the issue I'm having with exporting from 3ds Max 2016. I downloaded the latest exporter from github installed it to 3ds Max unblock the dlls and have an export to Babylon plugin. Ok I figure once I press the export button it should bring me to the next step but nothing is coming up is there a step I'm missing?

Screenshot (16).png

4 hours ago, Maverton said:

I read most of the content on exporting from 3ds Max but haven't seen the issue I'm having with exporting from 3ds Max 2016. I downloaded the latest exporter from github installed it to 3ds Max unblock the dlls and have an export to Babylon plugin. Ok I figure once I press the export button it should bring me to the next step but nothing is coming up is there a step I'm missing?

In your screenshot I see the export dialog window. So it's working. Or is it not your screenshot?

Keep in mind that C4D is a Z axis up world space, so yur objects will export and import at a 270 degree rotation, and not at zero. Most other applications including the babylon.js framework is Y up world axis. Many exporters handle the coorridante system change, but I've seen failures in almost every application from time to time. I must have posted 4 or five links seperately to the following post:

@User - When load your file into MotionBuilder, I see the object and orientation below:rak_basic.jpg

If you are using MotionBuilder, the rotation you see is how the file was saved. I would parent the legs and rotate in MB, Maya, or Max - or an application with a Y axis up world orientation. I use the FBX format most of the time, as it is more flexible for objects and animations than Blender (depending on the scene), as well as most all attributes. I would rotate the objects 270 degrees (not 90 degrees) and freeze or bake all transforms (or just rotations) depending on which application you're using. If I knew which application you exported from, this would help answer your question. There are often orientation differences when exporting from various applications. However, the reason you are seeing a different orientation result in babylon is that the application you exported from must have a Z axis up world orientation, where as the FBX format is a Y axis up world orientation - and this is maintained in the FBX file format. Keep in mind that Blender is also Z axis up, but I believe this is corrected for .babylon during the export process. Also your object is not rotated 90 degrees, but you'll find that there is a 270 degree rotation placed on your models. Keep this in mind, as rotating 90 degrees will look correct, but numerically, your objects might have a 360 degree rotation added if you rotate 90 degrees instead of 270 degrees in the opposite direction.

And FYI - I saw upon loading that your scene contains NURBS surfaces, which I would convert to polygons before exporting, as well as your object is incredibly small, which can also cause a vast number of problems, and would be difficult to work with in babylon.js.

DB

So I have also posted this on the spaces root post since every newbie should understand the differences in exporting from so many different applications.