Scale objects in a certain way

Simon_Kunz

Hey there,

I'm pretty new to babylon and 3D graphics in general. Right now I'm evaluating if babylon could fit the needs of a current project I'm involved in.

The project is about visualizing different kinds of technical products in 3d within the context of an online product configurator. So far, I'm pretty optimistic, that babylon will do the job for me, and I absolutely love this project. So thanks for all the great work to the whole community.

Right now there's one major problem, that I couldn't solve by myself so far. Maybe it's just a lack of common vocabulary to search for and maybe it's pretty obvious for the pros in this forum:

Let's assume i have some sort of component looking like the one in the attached picture (of course this would already be a 3d-object exported from 3ds max).

Now I want to scale the object depending on the values the user has entered within the configurator. For example I just want the blue area labeled "a" to be longer, without changes the overall scale of the object.

Is there a way to achieve something like this with babylon? My 3d objects are imported from Autodesk Revit to 3ds max and then to .babylon. Within Revit you can kind of "parameterize" your objects. Is there maybe even a way to use those parameters within babylon?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

example.png

Hello and thank you for the fast reply. I saw some of your videos about babylonjs on youtube and they really helped me getting startet, so thanks for that too!

If I'd choose to export seperate objects, that would mean I'll have to reposition them everytime I scale one of them, is that right? I'm afraid this wont work out for me, because this way I'll have to do some coding for every part we need. I would need some kind of more generic method.

I was hoping, that maybe there is some standardized way of doing that, so a technician could create some sort of parameters for a object within 3ds max and those parameters would then be filled by the configurator in a generic way. (Example for parameters: 

)

But maybe that's just not a thing you'll need in a game-framework. I think features like that are more common in a more cad-like background.

Maybe I'll take a look at your second suggestion, but I'm afraid this will be too low-level for me as a beginner.