Blender 2.77 Exporter Plugin - Mesh has no UV maps, material ignored

cartman

Hi guys, I've been hitting a brick wall the past 4-5 hours. 

Basically, I wanted to export a babylon scene containing a simple cube with a grass texture on it. Once i get the .babylon file, my goal is to have it directly imported into the BabylonJS environemnt, with the texture intact (or so I understood it).

I added some basic UV mapping (i chose the 'Flat Projection). I have no clue why the log file still says 'Mesh has no UV maps'

I have to admit, i might have messed something up here, but unsure what I did.

Details

1. Blender v2.77
  2. Exporter Plugin v4.4.4
  3. Babylon 2.3

Attached are my log files, my blender file, the grass texture, and some screenshots of my blender viewport (settings and rendered viewport).

I'd love to learn where I messed things up. If you have any advice/pointers, please fire away, thank you!

1) better.log (the log file)

2) rendered viewport

Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 9.47.55 PM.jpg

3) settings

Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 9.47.48 PM.jpg

4) more settings (i did the UV mapping with Flat projection)

Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 9.47.36 PM.jpg

5) more settings

Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 9.45.02 PM.jpg

6) the blender file: better.babylon (feel free to download)

7) the grass texture

grass.png

Edited by cartman
cleaner formatting

I added some basic UV mapping (i chose the 'Flat Projection). I have no clue why the log file still says 'Mesh has no UV maps'

Well cartman, a couple of questions.

1. With your "unwrapped" cube do you see the name of the uvmap in the box as illustrated with image 1? if you don't see an entry in that box - it is not unwrapped.

2. Which of the unwrap methods did you use - Image 2 ? I used  Smart UV Project to get the example in image1.

My quick test was done with Blender 2.76, BJS exporter 4.4.4 - and it worked fine.

cheers, gryff :)

cart1.png

cart2.png

Thanks @gryff, i followed your instructions (unwrapped using Smart UV Project, then added a grass texture). Now i get a new error in my log (attached).

Image texture found, type:  diffuseTexture, mapped using: "UVMap"
    WARNING: Error encountered processing image file:  , Error:  '/Users/cartman/Downloads/grass.png' and '/Users/cartman/Downloads/grass.png' are the same file

Screenshot of UVMap

Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 11.10.25 PM.jpg

Any ideas on how to fix this? Thank you in advance.

better.log

cartman, I have seen that kind of "warning" before - I think it just means that the texture you are exporting from Blender already exists in the directory you are exporting to.

How does your new babylon file look in the BJS Sandbox? 

Is it a textured cube?

cheers, gryff :)

@gryff i selected the grass.png and better.babylon from my folder, and dragged into the BJS Sandbox. I get the textured cube. 

Screen Shot 2016-05-04 at 11.55.45 AM.jpg

Thank you!

I also managed to import the better.babylon into my code, added a simple rotation animation. It appears that we need both the .babylon file AND the grass.png (my original understanding was I didn't need the grass.png at all - noob mistake :) )

Screen Shot 2016-05-04 at 11.57.03 AM.jpg