Typescript typing issues

Kesshi

I just stumbled upon some typing issues.
1. The ratio parameter in the PostProcess contructor is defined as "number | any" but in all derived classes (FxaaPostProcess ...) it is define as "number" only. see:
https://github.com/BabylonJS/Babylon.js/blob/master/src/PostProcess/babylon.postProcess.ts#L100
https://github.com/BabylonJS/Babylon.js/blob/master/src/PostProcess/babylon.fxaaPostProcess.ts#L6

2. There are some issues with the size parameter of the RenderTargetTexture:
- in the constructor its defined as "any" but it should be "number | any"
- the private member "_size" is defined as "number" but should be "number | any"
- the getRenderSize() function returns "number" but should return "number | any"
- the scale() function expects "_size" to be "number" and will fail if it is an object:
https://github.com/BabylonJS/Babylon.js/blob/master/src/Materials/Textures/babylon.renderTargetTexture.ts#L168

It wouble be better not to use "any" as the type for function parameters. Because if it is not documented, you need to look at the sources to see which Parameters you can use for any. For example for the PostProcess it would be better to define "ratio" as "number | {width: number, height: number}".

One more thing i don't like are things like samplingMode, coordinatesMode, fovMode .... They are always declared as number and its not obvious what the possible values are. Sometimes you can see it in the naming (e.g. Texture.NEAREST_SAMPLINGMODE) but in some cases its not so easy to see. For example the Camera.mode. Here you can use Camera.ORTHOGRAPHIC_CAMERA and Camera.PERSPECTIVE_CAMERA but its not clear.
I always define things like this as enums. This makes it absolutly clear what values you can use and you get an compiler error if you assign something wrong.

3 hours ago, Deltakosh said:

Only problem of enum: they generate a string and this is not possible to have to test against a string while rendering a frame.

That is not true. This example will print "x=2 type=number":

enum Test {
    Value1,
    Value2,
    Value3
}

let x = Test.Value3;
alert("x=" + x + " type=" + typeof (x));

You can even specify the numeric value like this:

enum Test {
    Value1 = 12,
    Value2 = 13,
    Value3 = 14
}

Regarding the PR. I will put it on my TODO list. If i have some time at work i can work on it.

Ok but you can declare the enum as "const" and set the "preserveConstEnums" compiler option to true. Now this:

const enum Test {
    Value1 = 12,
    Value2 = 13,
    Value3 = 14
}
var x = Test.Value1;
if (x === Test.Value2) {
}

compiles to this:

var Test;
(function (Test) {
    Test[Test["Value1"] = 12] = "Value1";